Topic: Fernvale disclosure

We will disclose project Fernvale at 31C3: http://events.ccc.de/congress/2014/Fahr … /6156.html

See you there!

Re: Fernvale disclosure

Wish I could be there to see it live, but I'll definitely be watching the recording!

i think there are also streams

Fernvale is a very interesting project indeed.
It will greatly help to have more power and functions at a low price.
A lot of maker projects can benefit from this.

Thank you both for your work and for sharing.

bunnie wrote:

We will disclose project Fernvale at 31C3: http://events.ccc.de/congress/2014/Fahr … /6156.html

Interesting talk! (I followed the live stream)

This is really exciting stuff, not just because of what the board can do at a price point we're not used to in the West, but also because it introduces a way of thinking about open source hardware that's very different to the usual 'what can we build around parts we can get from DigiKey' Arduino style of OSH.

Are there any plans on making hardware available for those of us who couldn't make it to 31C3? Or maybe some kind of component group buy? Spinning a few boards would be straightforward enough thanks to the great design resources you've put online, but it would be nice not to have to order one off Mediatek parts from random unknown Aliexpress vendors.

Hi,

I eagerly followed the live stream, too. Awesome !
Can hardly believe the amount of work and retro-engineering you've done on the subject.

I play (hard & soft) with Arduinos and Arm (Due, Teensy, then STM32, baremetal) and I'm very interessed in the Fernvale platform,
first as a microcontroller alone (great perf/price ratio).

Like mousetrapper, I'd like to have a couple of board to play with.

Then, perhaps a lot of extra work (and IP implications maybe) involved, but would it be possible to use cheap MT6260 based smart watches as hackable hardware platform ? Is it a path you envision ?

+1 for the boards.
This is really interesting. Just yesterday I ordered a whole refurbished phone to provide internet connectivity to one of my projects - a cheap cpu/board I could use for both obtaining, processing and uploading data would be much simpler and more fun.
While I do play with MCUs now and then I'm mainly a software guy who doesn't make his PCBs and stuff.
A reasonably priced board ($20?) would be awesome.

+1 on the boards as well.
This project dovetails nicely with the the OpenMoko/OpenEmbedded/Shr projects. The main difference is the OpenMoko phones are a few hundred dollar each which is a bit steep. A sub $50 price point really opens up some doors. Nice work guys.

I'm a bit sad to see that there is not a big rush on Fernvale.
I guess it won't lift off until there are enough people working on it, and releasing how to, gadgets and librairies to build things with it.
How can we help ?
I posted an Article in French on my blog, but did not get traction.

How can we "easily" get our hands on some boards ?
Would a group buy for Europe be possible ?

Actuino wrote:

I'm a bit sad to see that there is not a big rush on Fernvale.
I guess it won't lift off until there are enough people working on it, and releasing how to, gadgets and librairies to build things with it.
How can we help ?
I posted an Article in French on my blog, but did not get traction.

How can we "easily" get our hands on some boards ?
Would a group buy for Europe be possible ?

I plan on building a board for myself soon, and I may try to organize some sort of group buy when I do. Unfortunately right now is not the best time for me, as I start classes again in less than a week and have to do some work on my senior design project before then. Once things calm down a bit though I'll look into a PCB order and maybe parts as well. I'm not sure how assembly would work out, as I've never done that myself before, but I will try to do PCB's and parts if necessary.

As a general note, we have a vague plan to make Fernvale boards available via Sysmocom sometime in the next couple of months. We're doing a bug sweep through the current design, and once we feel it's clean enough we'll stock in a few dozen so people can buy and tinker...

So no crowd campaign, rather, straight to distribution.

Great, thanks !

14 (edited by honos 2015-01-09 19:34:18)

Adding fernvale in our maker tools will be greatly appreciable.

Thank you

It's been a while now.
What do i have to do to buy 10?!

Id love to help develop (RE?) the GSM stack, but muy guess is that osmocom should "sort of work"