Topic: A board of a different color

Hello fellow enthusiasts!

I was very glad to find this community as my project was beginning to lead me into the double digits of pages on Google.  Dark times. 

The board I am trying to build is fairly different from the Novina - it is a single board computer running Ubuntu with two WLAN WiFi interfaces.  I have been researching the components that I would use for this, but am running into questions I cannot find the answer to anywhere.

For the main processor, I am looking at the Texas Instruments AM57, which has an Arm Cortex A15 and interfaces for DDR3, GPMC, two USB’s and an ethernet subsystem.

Using the USB’s, I am planning to connect two Pulse Larsen TWR0063’s, which have a very simple, four pin USB interface and support for Linux - though I am unsure if “support for Linux” means a driver for utilization as a WLAN interface.  Alternatively, I have considered the RTL8192EU which I know has WLAN drivers,  and the Intel AX200 which seems to be the most robust though complicated solution.  The TWR seems to be the simplest in terms of design, but any advice here would be greatly appreciated.

For additional memory, I was planning to connect a standard DDR3 card of RAM, for which the AM57 provides a fairly straight forward diagram.  I am wondering, however, whether there is a chip available that could provide 2Gb of RAM that could be directly soldered to the board and use the same DDR3 interface, rather than attached via a slot.  I also do not know if such a connection would require additional programming at the level of the kernel, or if the act of making a connection is enough to make use of the additional RAM.

For storage, I am looking at the Micron MT29 which provides 128Gbit of NAND storage and can be interfaced with using GPMC.  Again, I am unsure of whether or not the additional memory would be detected by the AM57 automatically, but I am also wondering if processors like this one would automatically include the additional storage unit in its boot loader, as this is where the Ubuntu install would be located.  On a more practical note, how would you recommend getting the OS onto this chip?  The board ultimately will have no HDMI or USB output, so it is intended to be used via SSH.  Can you recommend a relatively simple method for flashing the base Ubuntu install onto this chip?

Once again, I am glad to have found this community, and I would really appreciate any advice here!

By the way, I've tried posting this a few times with links to the data sheets for each product, but the spam filter keeps banning me when I try!  I have all of the documentation at hand and can share it if need be - all of the products except the RTL can be found with their respective data sheets on mouser.

Re: A board of a different color

Hi Eric,

I'd point out that this forum is aimed at users of the Novena board, rather than at designers of motherboards. (No objection to your question, just concern that you might hear only tumbleweeds...)

- Roland

rolandturner wrote:

Hi Eric,

I'd point out that this forum is aimed at users of the Novena board, rather than at designers of motherboards. (No objection to your question, just concern that you might hear only tumbleweeds...)

- Roland

Thanks for the reply, Roland.  I had a feeling that would be the case, but I'm hearing tumbleweeds for these questions across the internet so I thought it was worth a try!  Do you know of any other communities that may be able to help?

Sadly not.