Topic: Building latest code with AWS

Sorry, next stupid question...

I've tried a few times to build, but only seemed to succeed with an old version of the AMI.

I have grabbed ami-c0b3f692, which I believe to be the current one...

First hurdle is trying to bring code up to date - I had to force git to pull:

ubuntu@ip-172-31-27-87:~/chumby-oe$ git submodule init
ubuntu@ip-172-31-27-87:~/chumby-oe$ git submodule update
remote: Counting objects: 519, done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (224/224), done.
remote: Total 519 (delta 309), reused 471 (delta 280)
Receiving objects: 100% (519/519), 202.85 KiB | 185 KiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (309/309), done.
From github.com/sutajiokousagi/meta-chumby
   7598311..53d4698  master     -> origin/master
error: You have local changes to 'recipes/images/chumby-netv-image.bb'; cannot switch branches.
Unable to checkout 'f07f06bd8f8efe7d3d245f604bf0491cada87ff8' in submodule path 'meta-chumby'

ubuntu@ip-172-31-27-87:~/chumby-oe$ cd meta-chumby/
ubuntu@ip-172-31-27-87:~/chumby-oe/meta-chumby$ git fetch --all
Fetching origin
Fetching master
From github.com/sutajiokousagi/meta-chumby
 * [new branch]      master     -> master/master
ubuntu@ip-172-31-27-87:~/chumby-oe/meta-chumby$ git reset --hard origin/master
HEAD is now at 53d4698 linux-silvermoon-chumby8: Fix SRC_URI
ubuntu@ip-172-31-27-87:~/chumby-oe/meta-chumby$ 
ubuntu@ip-172-31-27-87:~/chumby-oe/meta-chumby$ cd ..
ubuntu@ip-172-31-27-87:~/chumby-oe$ git submodule update
Submodule path 'meta-chumby': checked out '6004679394c2133b43668104906bdc079a893a13'
remote: Counting objects: 13, done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (8/8), done.
remote: Total 13 (delta 5), reused 12 (delta 5)
Unpacking objects: 100% (13/13), done.
From github.com/sutajiokousagi/openembedded
   be1a1c5..85fbeaf  master     -> origin/master
   d22d74e..8b3ee4e  org.openembedded.dev -> origin/org.openembedded.dev
Submodule path 'openembedded': checked out 'e5c44eeb0c372d6856204f43756b6d62accd4200'

Which is fine, just checking that was the correct thing to do...

However, when I try to build, I get:

ubuntu@ip-172-31-27-87:~/chumby-oe$ bitbake chumby-image
Loading cache: 100% |################################################################################################################################################################################| Time: 00:00:09
Loaded 7228 entries from dependency cache.
ERROR: Error parsing /home/ubuntu/chumby-oe/meta-chumby/recipes/chumby-netvserver/chumby-netvserver_1.0.bb: Fetch command export HOME="/home/ubuntu"; export PATH="/home/ubuntu/chumby-oe/meta-chumby-private/bin:/home/ubuntu/chumby-oe/meta-chumby/bin:/home/ubuntu/chumby-oe/openembedded/bin:/home/ubuntu/chumby-oe/output-angstrom-.9/sysroots/i686-linux/usr/armv5te/bin:/home/ubuntu/chumby-oe/output-angstrom-.9/sysroots/i686-linux/usr/sbin:/home/ubuntu/chumby-oe/output-angstrom-.9/sysroots/i686-linux/usr/bin:/home/ubuntu/chumby-oe/output-angstrom-.9/sysroots/i686-linux/sbin:/home/ubuntu/chumby-oe/output-angstrom-.9/sysroots/i686-linux//bin:/home/ubuntu/chumby-oe/bitbake-1.12.0/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games"; git ls-remote h-t-t-p-github.com/sutajiokousagi/chumby-netvserver master failed with signal 128, output:
error: Protocol https not supported or disabled in libcurl while accessing h-t-t-p-github.com/sutajiokousagi/chumby-netvserver/info/refs

(Just to help confuse things, this forum does not allow me to post the full URL, so I've ofuscated the "h-t-t-p"  in the above git command and error message)

Note that running 'git ls-remote etc.' works fine from the command line, so the problem must be somewhere on the included path, and therefore in the bitbake innards somewhere...

Re: Building latest code with AWS

At some point in the past, github disabled the ability to check out code using http, and helpfully redirects requests to the https uri.  Unfortunately, the version of libcurl packaged in older versions of openembedded (such as that used in the original NeTV image) don't support https, as evidenced by your error message.

I'm not sure what the proper solution would be.  First of all, it might be a good idea to move to a newer version of OE (Yocto or similar).  Or you could just put Debian or Redhat on there.  I did that at one point, and it seemed to work alright.

Before I start, please forgive the whining tone,

I too have spent quite a bit of time trying to get a new build going, first using the local tool, approach then giving up and going to amazon.  Then finding out the first version, and then the second version, are very broken. 

I got as far as the post above, but then realized that I was back where I was with the local builds: that is - if you try to use a more up to date OE then it wants to use up-to-date packages, for example quilt2, and then it seems every single package needs the recipes, libraries, builds,  to be updated. I am not sure I have enough years left in my life to sort all that out.

I am really hoping that I am being completely clueless here, and that I am totally misguided. But I do not see things going well.  After changing a bunch of things over from SVN to git in the first build, I was able to get the starter-image  to build. And that works on the SD card, but f course does little for NeTV.  Going further was impossible with all the references to repos and versions that no longer exist. Then I found the version as in the above post, but frankly got less far.

I would really like to use the NeTV, but if we can't build updated images, not much we can do.

Can we get some guidance or direction, if not overt packaging help?  How does Debian help?

Thanks, a very frustrated

gwgchase

I, too, have had only frustration in trying to create a local build to do development on, and I never got nearly as far as adam and gwgchase. But, I continue to be passionate about my NeTV and have a wish list of tweaks and minor bug fixes I'd like to make. I'm sure others do as well, and that they'd be willing to share them.

I dearly wish we could get a Virtualbox appliance, preferably as a torrent download. I tried twice to convert the AMI to a Virtualbox image but failed miserably. It's been so long but what I remember is hitting the AWS 10GB limit and general bandwidth speed limits (and the AWS costs) associated with moving the AMI to a US region. If someone knowledgeable can move forward on this, I'm willing to help by donating some funds to cover AWS costs.

5 (edited by jjk 2015-02-11 00:11:54)

We just copied the complete content of the filesystem of the AWS image to a local vm. That works very well. As mentioned in the SSL/TLS thread we managed to complie newer version of netvbrowser to use qt 4.8 and thus TLS 1.0.

I will check if we could upload image somewhere. But costs for running instance for about 16 hours and networktraffic are not that expensive ($5.85). In our montly amazon bill it was nearly nothing smile

jjk,

It would be fantastic if you could upload your VM somewhere. Is it for VirtualBox or any of its supported formats?

Here's a hosting site I found (haven't tried it) http://virtualboxes.org/images/ which appears to be a user-friendly frontend to http://sourceforge.net/projects/virtualboximage/files/

Alternatively, a torrent of your VM would also be great.

Very interesting that porting the AWS image works well. So maybe vis a vis my post above, I am (quite happily) wrong about the build being broken. I can't imagine how, given that the problems I had were to do with trying to access servers that no longer exist. Maybe I had the wrong image? Hmm.
In any case please elaborate which image you grabbed.  The NeTV is a great piece of work, I would really like to move forward again.
thanks!
gwgchase

jjk wrote:

We just copied the complete content of the filesystem of the AWS image to a local vm. That works very well. ... I will check if we could upload image somewhere.

Just checking... did you find a place where you could upload it? Is it in a VM container compatible with Virtualbox disk image files (VDI, VMDK, VH9D, HDD)?

To adam, jjk and gwgchase, and others who might read this message.

A lot seems to have changed with the Amazon AWS console compared with the original Wiki article. I've struggled trying to follow the steps I found at Export Amazon EC2 instance to VirtualBox. I can't seem to get authorized to create a t2.medium instance that would have sufficient EBS disk space for ami-c0b3f692 (netv-prebuild-1.3). I've contacted Amazon's AWS Support but it's been almost a week and I don't have a support contract with them.

So I'm back to square one it seems. I have the bandwidth and would gladly be a torrent seeder for a VirtualBox appliance version.

Is there anyone who can help by exporting their working VirtualBox VM to an .ova file? You can contact me privately to work something out.

Please?

-Todd

I've created a virtual machine using VirtualBox that should be a standalone copy of the Amazon EC2 instance.

It is about 18.4GB as a 7zip compressed file so I made a torrent file for it.

http://www.legittorrents.info/index.php … p;active=1

I made a kernel change to enable CONFIG_USB_EHCI_TT_NEWSCHED to see if it would fix Issue with USB AUDIO but I don't know yet if it worked. I have no special knowledge of NeTV kernel internals; I just followed these steps in the wiki.

I created a grub2 background and after installing XFCE-4/LXDE for the graphical environment, I also created a desktop wallpaper for it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gaso82mu0kohua0/ubuntu-netv-boot.PNG?raw=1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/dqqkzmz5lams7f2/ubuntu-netv-lower-right.PNG?raw=1