1 (edited by jjardine 2017-11-18 03:43:35)

Topic: Medical Stats Overlay

Hey guys,

I wanted to show you what I'm making:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqIZBjqEmYw

My kids have medical conditions so we need to monitor them on oximeters every night.
I recently found out how to read the stats off their machines in realtime and I wanted to build a dashboard for it. It didn't make sense to add another screen in our living room so I wanted to overlay it onto the existing TV.

In the video the machines aren't reading any stats at the moment (just showing "---"), but it should update every few seconds or so once the machines are hooked up to the kids. And then turn red in case they de-sat.

I ended up modifying the default index.html and embedding an iframe in it to pull the display off a server in the house. It seemed a lot easier than trying to write a custom widget. I now have no menus, but it seems to work pretty well.

Then when the machines are off I have the stats hide completely.

The only issue right now is that the NeTV seems to be forcing my cable box to 720p and I'm getting a lot of snow in the display. I suspect I might need to upgrade my HDMI cable from the NeTV to the TV. Does this sound about right?

Re: Medical Stats Overlay

This is what it looks like with a machine on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD_wq5WDi-Y

I also fixed the issue with the "snow". I replaced the HDMI cable and the picture looks much clearer now.

Hi John,

This is so cool and such a great use of the NeTV!

I thought I heard you mention in your second video about a BIPAP -- just curious to know if you have a link to the unit and maybe its documentation (API?) on how you are reading the settings in realtime? I'm interested in how you accomplish this.

Hmmm it appears I've been banned. I think I was trying to post too many links.

First off, thank you!

I prepared a super detailed post, but because I don't want to get banned again, the short answer is that the bipap is seperate from the oximeter. The oximeter is what is providing the data. The model is Madimo Rad8 and it has a standard serial port on the back that outputs easy to parse ASCII data. I use as python script on a raspberry Pi to feed that to my Home Assistant server and then have a static html page with some AJAX to query the HA data which is what gets displayed on the NeTV.

Typed up on my phone since my home IP is banned.

John

This post has been reported as spam and is awaiting review by the moderators.

johnprime wrote:

Hmmm it appears I've been banned. I think I was trying to post too many links.

First off, thank you!

I prepared a super detailed post, but because I don't want to get banned again, the short answer is that the bipap is seperate from the oximeter. The oximeter is what is providing the data. The model is Madimo Rad8 and it has a standard serial port on the back that outputs easy to parse ASCII data. I use as python script on a raspberry Pi to feed that to my Home Assistant server and then have a static html page with some AJAX to query the HA data which is what gets displayed on the NeTV.

Typed up on my phone since my home IP is banned.

John

Hi johnprime or jjardine smile
your task is very similar to the one I have, except that my data comes from an arduino or an RS232 source.
Though, I have the same need... to create a text data overlay.

So I am asking you for a more detailed how-to, on your procedure to create this text overlay.
- do you modify the NeTV's local UI in real time (according to https://www.kosagi.com/w/index.php?title=NeTV_local_UI), in order to do this ? And how ?
- is it using the HTTP API ?

At the time of writing I don't own a NeTV, so I am trying to figure out whether it suits me or not.
Also I would like to know if the NeTV board has an pin inputs for signals, such as rs232 or other (didn't find and details about that)

regards