Topic: CCC (Battery Board) Assembly Workshop?

So it was mentioned in "my" battery board thread, I'd like to collect the interest of doing a workshop at the 31c3 this year.
Depends on several things:
-Is the assembled board possible? (in price, time..)
-do I manage to get the PCBs for the boards in time (I think I'll do)
-Is ballanux eager to help (since he seams to be the first/only user done something here)
-Do we manage to get all parts in time?
-Are we able to get all necessary tools there (ballanux?)
-is there enough patient to wait until the end of the year? ;-)

Just drop your opinion.

Re: CCC (Battery Board) Assembly Workshop?

Sounds super fun. Unfortunately, it isn't likely that I will be able to make it out to Germany this year.

It sounds interesting... but... this board isn't precisely the best candidate for an "introduction to soldering"

I assembled my board with a soldering station, but the right way to do it would be with a reflow oven.
To do the soldering with reflow oven there would be needed stencils, as this would be for a small quantity kapton stencils would be ok (instead of the expensive metal ones).

To assemble my board I don't remember exactly but I would say I may have used about 15 hours. Then, of course, you have to troubleshoot the board. Nobody should really expect to have the board fully functioning at the first time... I may have also used 10 hours trying to find my mistakes.

To test a board like this, a multimeter is essential, but probably insufficient, an oscilloscope would also be needed in most cases.

I know I sound pessimistic, but what I mean to say is that in a workshop there wouldn't be enough time to assemble them by hand and have functional boards by the end of the day. Placing the main ICs is one thing, but then there are still 200 components to be mounted, is a repetitive task and you have to do it carefully.

Getting all the components shouldn't be a problem, if you get them on farnell/mouser/digikey they are very quick. If you want to get a better price at other dealers you may have to wait a bit more.

And for the tools, this is what in my opinion is needed, in the workshop or for anyone who whants to build it at home:

• Soldering station (solder iron + hot air)

• Solder wire, small diameter (0.5mm)

• Solder wick / solder sucker (it's better to have a good quality solder wick)

• Solder flux (a solder flux pen is a good option)

• Isopropyl alcohol (to clean the mess)

• Reflow oven / stencils (not a requisite but it would speed up the process)

• Multimeter / Oscilloscope (to test everything)

• Linux PC with arm cross-compilling tools

• ARM-USB-OCD JTAG or similar tool (I think that xobs and bunnie doesn't use JTAG)

• 3.3V FTDI cable, BusPirate or similar tool

As I say... I may be a bit pessimistic about the feasibility to have completed and functional boards in an event like this (but I have never been in a practical workshop like the one you are proposing! So I don't really know how this would go). But lets see how many people would be interested and also if there are people with more experience in this matters that can give us their opinion.

Maybe "workshop" wasn't the best word to choose. Think of it as some sort of place, where all interested people could gather and work on their boards constantly over he 4 days. (I did a quite more compilcated workshop at OHM2013 over 4 days with my carbon fibre workshop).

For the stencils I have some ideas:
- DIY lasercutting in the fablab. (don't know if that#s possible withe the "kapton" material. Whatever that is, dict.leo.org wasn't helpfull)
- and I'll ask the price for that, when getting it together with the board
- I'll ask a price for it in metal at some lasercutting companies I worked with before

All the tools seems to be not a problem to bring, I would think. The  Oscilloscope should be organizable here in the hackerspace. The rest is a lesser problem I would say.

Alternativly for the reflow oven a steam phase "oven" hacked from a chip pan (german. friteuse) could be a way.

mclien wrote:

Think of it as some sort of place, where all interested people could gather and work on their boards constantly over he 4 days.

Yeah, that sounds better big_smile
I thought you were talking about a 2 or 3 hour "practical class"

Hey guys, I'd be very interested in building one or two boards if this workshop happens. I'm planning to go to the congress anyways and don't have the right tools at home smile

@kiubiq:
so i listed you in the other Thread for 1-2 PCBs..

@ballanux:
Just to verify: You will be at 31c3 in any case, right?

@mclien:
Very nice, thanks!

mclien wrote:

@ballanux:
Just to verify: You will be at 31c3 in any case, right?

Well... I didn't even know about the CCC until you mentioned it, so I wasn't planning on going. I can't say anything yet but I will take a look on the 31C3 schedule to see if it's interesting, how much would cost me to go, etc. I also have a friend in Bremen so I may go to visit him if he is available...

I'll keep you posted when I know more! big_smile

We're planning on being there, too.

for xobs and bunnie I guessed that much, since you were there last year. But nice to have that confirmed.
Would be a pleasure to meet you too ballanux.

xobs wrote:

We're planning on being there, too.

So, it's a great opportunity to have our laptops signed! big_smile

i plan to be there also, and would like 2 boards (see other thread)

Time to start planning that a little more:
http://www.kosagi.com/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=278#p278

:-)

Here I try to solve the "where, when, what how.." about the population of the board:
http://www.kosagi.com/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=281

Turns out I won't be able to attend 31c3. Meh.

Well, I hope you folks will have fun smile