Topic: Replacement front panel board?

Hello Xobs and Community --

Is there any way to order a new front panel board for the Novena? I managed to break the connector, which renders my board useless.

Thanks,

David Robinson
Seattle

Re: Replacement front panel board?

Well, since I have already experience organizing building hardware with he senoko, I might be into building that one, too.
But I guess there might be a min. producing amount of about ~60 to make it efficient costwise...
But i might look into it. Do you need all functions or would a breakoutboard e.g. for USB only to the trick, too?

Can you provide photos? Perhaps it's easier to replace the connector?

Sourcerer wrote:

Can you provide photos? Perhaps it's easier to replace the connector?

Hello Sourcerer --

Here are some pictures:

My Broken Novena Front-Panel Board

I've been doing some studying and I see that it might not be impossible to repair this. (Everything I know about soldering paste and SMD components I've learned in the last 48 hours via Google.)

Do you have any advice on identifying the part and sourcing a replacement?

Cheers,

David

mclien wrote:

Well, since I have already experience organizing building hardware with he senoko, I might be into building that one, too.
But I guess there might be a min. producing amount of about ~60 to make it efficient costwise...
But i might look into it. Do you need all functions or would a breakoutboard e.g. for USB only to the trick, too?

Hello mclien --

Maybe I can repair it and avoid the need to replace it, so I'll pursue that first. I'm definitely interested in your possible run of Senoko boards, though. I have one of those that is simply unresponsive (and not, in this case, due to anything I did to it).

Cheers,

David

6 (edited by chris4795 2016-04-29 21:59:56)

dwrob,

That is actually a pretty easy fix! For sourcing the new part: here is where you can find the BOM: http://www.kosagi.com/w/index.php?title … ign_Source

I did a bit of looking and I think this is the part, but I would check yourself: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ … D/3880323). Any maker place should be able to help you get it soldered (I would imagine Seattle has a maker space).

If you want someone to do it for you, I can talk to the guy I worked with to figure out the problems on my senoko board to see how much he would be willing to fix it for (I am thinking he would do it for the ~$20 range). He replaced the gas gauge on my senoko and does outstanding work. I am in the US.

On a side note, what is wrong with the Senoko board?

Hello Chris4795 --

Thanks very much for that information. The part you found agrees with the BOM for the board, so I ordered five of them and also picked up a used hot-air soldering station on Ebay. This is turning into a fun project involving new skills. If I completely screw it up, I may be back in touch to contact the guy who did work for you.

The Senoko board is part of a Novena that I acquired second-hand, so I don't know what happened to it. There is no visible damage to it.

1. With (known good) battery connected, SSD attached, Senoko attached, and power plugged into the Senoko, the Novena will not start at all -- no green lights on the Senoko, no red light on the main board, no LCD backlight. Pushing the buttons on the Senoko has no effect.

2. With battery connected, SSD attached, Senoko attached, and power plugged into the main board, red light on main board comes on, LCD backlight comes on, but no boot. If I push the Level button on the Senoko, the green LEDs come on for a few seconds, and then go dark.

3. With no battery, SSD attached, Senoko attached, and power plugged into main board, red light on main board comes on, LCD backlight comes on, but no boot. If I push the Level button on the Senoko, the furthest outboard LED flashes 3-5 times.

3. With Senoko board removed and SSD attached, Novena boots normally.

-- David

chris4795 wrote:

dwrob,

That is actually a pretty easy fix! For sourcing the new part: here is where you can find the BOM: (link)

I did a bit of looking and I think this is the part, but I would check yourself: (link). Any maker place should be able to help you get it soldered (I would imagine Seattle has a maker space).

If you want someone to do it for you, I can talk to the guy I worked with to figure out the problems on my senoko board to see how much he would be willing to fix it for (I am thinking he would do it for the ~$20 range). He replaced the gas gauge on my senoko and does outstanding work. I am in the US.

On a side note, what is wrong with the Senoko board?

8 (edited by chris4795 2016-04-30 21:57:43)

Hey dwrob,

Sounds good! Let me know how it goes.

For the senoko, I think you need to tell the EEPROM that you have a senoko attached. That should allow your Novena to boot.  For any other problems, there are a few threads on here that can help you out.

The fact that the green LEDs come on means the senoko is working! Those green LEDs are a battery level gauge, and tell you how much charge the senoko has. If one of the LEDs were blinking while you had the power plugged in, that means it is charging the battery.

Another thing you could do is connect a FTDI serial cable (if I remember correctly) to the Senoko, to see it's output and status.