Topic: Display doesn't work when booting from SSD

I used this guide to install the system on SSD:

http://novena-guide.readthedocs.org/en/ … -sata-disk

I made two attempts, both failed.

First attempt:

I just issued

sata-install.sh /dev/sda

After I rebooted (I set the sata eeprom flag) the display didn't work. So I logged in via UART, and discovered  that system is operational. But it's just bare debian. Ok, I added kosagi repo and installed all the packages found at:

apt-cache search novena

All but one - I didn't install firstrun

After that I rebooted and screen showed the U-boot sequence, but after the kernel kicked in it went black

I thought, maybe if I install novena-firstrun it will fetch some of the dependencies responsible for communicating to the eDP, but after installation the system froze showing "Setting up novena-firstrun" inside apt-get install. And subsequent boots ended up being stuck at "Starting kernel", sending serial break didn't have any effect. The system properly hanged.

Second attempt:

I did everything explicitly as described in the aforementioned document. Except I downloaded the newer versions of the .deb packages. Rebooting into the SSD resulted in the same issue as above - system hanged on "Starting kernel". And the display only worked for a bit until the kernel started.

I haven't tried the rsync method yet, it should work, but I'd really like to set up the system from scratch myself as I tried on my first attempt. I'm sure I just missing something.

Re: Display doesn't work when booting from SSD

You might be missing the steps to create /etc/fstab.

The directory /boot/ must be mounted on the MMC disk.  You should have an entry similar to the following:

/dev/disk/by-path/platform-2198000.usdhc-part1 /boot vfat defaults 2 2

That way, when U-Boot and the kernel are updated, they will get moved to a location where the SPL and U-Boot (respectively) can read them from the disk.  If you don't have that, then the kernel won't get updated.

xobs wrote:

You might be missing the steps to create /etc/fstab.

The directory /boot/ must be mounted on the MMC disk.  You should have an entry similar to the following:

/dev/disk/by-path/platform-2198000.usdhc-part1 /boot vfat defaults 2 2

That way, when U-Boot and the kernel are updated, they will get moved to a location where the SPL and U-Boot (respectively) can read them from the disk.  If you don't have that, then the kernel won't get updated.

Nope, fstab is fine

Do you have the "edp" flag set in your EEPROM?  If you run "novena-eeprom" does it list "edp" in the features section?

You may be able to plug in an HDMI monitor to at least see what's on the screen.

xobs wrote:

Do you have the "edp" flag set in your EEPROM?  If you run "novena-eeprom" does it list "edp" in the features section?

You may be able to plug in an HDMI monitor to at least see what's on the screen.

The flag is enabled. I connected through UART, so I can see what's on the screen. The problem is that it is stuck on 'Starting kernel...'. I thought I'd wait for a couple of minutes and send a break, to log in into shell, but nope - didn't work.

I ended up copying the / with rsync, it worked fine. Although now I see the systemd error upon login saying "Read ACL failed ...... operation's not supported", but ACL IS enabled... anyways, that's another issue smile

You can create uenv.txt on the root of partition 1 on the internal SD card with the following line in it to force the console to be on the serial port as well as on HDMI/eDP:

finalhook=setenv bootargs ${bootargs} console=ttymxc1,115200.

There's some more information on getting that working at http://www.kosagi.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=268 but hopefully that will at least get you a log.