Topic: Senoko LEDs?

Good Afternoon,

I was having some battery issues, so I updated the firmware on the Senoko. There are now LEDs that light up. I was assuming they referred to charge state, but I wanted to confirm that.

Thank you!

Re: Senoko LEDs?

Hi,

Humm, I don't have any LEDs illuminated on my Senoko in normal operation.

In the rear right corner of the Novena case / Senoko there is a button labelled "level" which causes <= 5 LEDS to light up, indicating the battery charge level.

I updated my Novena / Senoko from the original shipping version by running "apt-get update" and "apt-get upgrade".

To complete the Senoko update I had to run a command "update-senoko" and follow the instructions given (the update requires a manual button press to complete). This wasn't obvious to me smile

You can query the battery state from Linux e.g. via the XFCE battery applet, or even by accessing the Senoko directly over its serial interface e.g. with a command such as "sudo minicom -D /dev/ttymxc3 -b 115200".

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Robb.

Good Morning,

Interesting, I did the "update-senoko" command, and now they are illuminated whether I press the level or not.

Thank you for the additional information though!

That's odd.

There's a command called "leds".  If you run "leds +", it'll turn them on.  "leds -" will turn them off.  Just running "leds" by itself will reset them to the default state, i.e. only turning on when you press the button.

I will try that and see what happens!

I actually had some odd behavior with it, I flashed it (to make sure I was on the latest version) and it said my battery died (it also sent garbled info when I used the i2c port to communicate with it). I got it to work, but it thought I had 4 instead of 3 cells.

What could have happened was a bad flash, and that flipped a bit that told it to have the LEDs always on. I will try running that command next time I have my laptop, and see if that fixes the issue.

So you know, "leds -" and "leds" did not turn off the LEDs

I tried carrying around my laptop for the day, and with the LEDs on, the battery was drained 50%. I have tried to disconnect the battery and I have reflashed a couepld of times, but the LEDs keep coming on.

Is there anything I could do about this?

Hey All,

So I seemed to have fixed the issue. The gas guage chip can be flashed, and the source code is here:

https://github.com/pelrun/novena-gg-tools

once I compiled the code, I flashed the code onto the gas guage, and that fixed the issue (as I learned that the LEDs are attached to the gas gauge)

I'm still working on fixing I2C issues.  Sometimes devices will fail to be detected on boot, or not respond to "power off" or "reset" commands.

I need to rework the I2C driver.