Topic: Bluetooth

I suppose I should have assumed this, but it seems to me that the bluetooth functionality on the ar9462 wont work without having a binary blob provided by the manufacturer.  Ive looked around, and it seems functionality requires binary firmware package firmware-atheros.

Or... is there another way to get around this without enabling the nonfree repos?

Re: Bluetooth

Unfortunately, I think it's either accept the binary blob, or sacrifice bluetooth on the wifi card.

Third option is to get a cheap BT dongle that doesn't need a blob and stick it in the internal USB port.

I assume there are no mini-PCIE cards that can do the wifi+bluetooth thing without a blob that one could put in the slot instead?

I was looking around and havent found any.  There are solutions that have a bluetooth module that connects (usb) through the display device, as on the x60 and x200/30. Not sure how you would hack one of these modules in though.

There is a USB port on the inside, for a bluetooth module that doesn't require firmware.

There's also a USB port on the eDP connector, but it would require a breakout cable.

Thanks xobs! I suppose this was the exact reason for the inside usb port design.  Its a shame we cant get around required firmware easily.  I will probably find a plugin usb bluetooth module for now.

I cant imagine I will use the USB channel in the edp connector for a camera, so I may explore options for an edp with usb breakout. For ones existing in other laptops the connector will most likely not be long enough.