Re: battery board

So Bunnie/xobs did an update at crowd supply, I was thinking, if I perhaps wait a bit to give some more folks the chance to jump on this.
What do you think?
Ordering status is as follows:
a) speed it up, that would result in boards in about 3-4 weeks
b) do it after the holydays of me and my wife, which means board at about the end of september.

I am in for one assembled board, if you end up getting them finished somewhere.

OK, little missunderstanding with my wife. So the boards are ordered (one lot of max. 33).
Nevermind. We have enough for all that are interested so far. And as long as there are spare once I'll do FIFO for them.
@winter:
will take a while to figure that out. But I'll keep informed everyone.

mclien wrote:

OK, little missunderstanding with my wife. So the boards are ordered (one lot of max. 33).
Nevermind. We have enough for all that are interested so far. And as long as there are spare once I'll do FIFO for them.
@winter:
will take a while to figure that out. But I'll keep informed everyone.

Great! I did in fact not mind if they took a bit longer, but of course the sooner the better big_smile

I'm currently on vacation but if you want I can also ask how much would cost to assemble the boards (if possible) at my work when I return.

ballanux wrote:

Great! I did in fact not mind if they took a bit longer, but of course the sooner the better big_smile

I'm currently on vacation but if you want I can also ask how much would cost to assemble the boards (if possible) at my work when I return.

Can't harm to have more than one offer for that. So I'll think I'll keep the delivery here until we have decited the next steps.

Mclien, just to clarify, i'd like _two_ unpopulated boards, if possible. One of them assembled would be perfect if ballanux does the favor. I could even go to Zaragoza to visit my family and get the board.

adj wrote:

.. i'd like _two_ unpopulated boards, if possible. ...

correted that.

considering the high demand, I just wanted to remind you that I also »ordered« two boards back on the old forum ^_^

OK, everybody remember: "Don't Panik" :-)

Post #39 has the  up-to-date list, which I edit constantly. So everybody worried about "his/her" board, just have a look there.
Which means your boards are taken care of raziel ;-)

I would like 2,
i would prefer them as kit (or even better assembled, if that option is available),
otherwise bare board

i plan to be at 31c3

little update.
The order confirmation notes the 18.9. as the planned delivery date. :-)

Which means I can then tell:
a) how many functional PCBs we get from that run
b) per unit price

so long
mclien

Super excited to get my hands on the board! Already purchased all the expensive parts to populate it. smile

Looking at the BOM (linked a page or two back), I see inductors listed:

Comment                                                  Footprint
3.3uH, MSS1260-332NL                         COILCRAFT_MSS1048
10uH LPS4018-103                                COILCRAFT_LPS4018

It looks like the part number listed for the top inductor and the footprint listed don't match (MSS1260 vs MSS1048)? I admit to only doing a cursory search, but they appear to be two different sizes:

http://www.coilcraft.com/misc/mss1048d.html

(can only post one link; change 1048 to 1260 in the link above for comparison)

And, of course, the part listed isn't smaller than the footprint listed.

Also, as it's past the 18th... Any word on the status of the boards?

dbatyl: this should explain the footprint mismatch: http://www.kosagi.com/w/index.php?title … or_profile

dbtayl wrote:

Also, as it's past the 18th... Any word on the status of the boards?

Right you are! There was a small problem with the holes that hold the SATA style connector in place. It wasn't milled befor the coating. So question was weather to throw everything away or tp live withe the holes taht aren't connected between the layers. Since this is not of electrical funktion and I hate waste, I decited to life with the afterwards milled holes. (marked the the hole in the pic).
Good news is: all 33 boards are tested an OK. And I have them here now:
http://mclien.com/dinge/finished.jpeg

I haven't a final price so far (invoice is to come).
So next steps:
- Whoever want's his/her PCBs as fast as possible should give me a shipping address as PM.
- If we want to do an assembly at 31c3, wwe should organize that including ordering of parts together and getting the needed tools there.
- perhaps ordering parts together is a good idea anyway.
exept we have some intentins to find out weather or not it is affordable to let the population be done by someone

cheers mclien

This is kind of tangential, but it seems to me that anybody who ordered a battery board will also be wanting a battery pack at some point. It also seems to me that, like myself, some people may forget that they need to connect said battery pack to the Senoko board, and will neglect to add the appropriate connectors to their parts order. So...

-If you haven't ordered parts yet, think about connectors.

-If you HAVE ordered parts, and don't want to pay shipping just for $2 worth of connectors (and then wait for them to arrive), you can almost certainly find them in an old desktop you probably have lying around. The main power plug is the standard IDE power connector, and the cell tap connector is approximately the same as the power plug for floppy drives. It might take a little sanding or cutting to trim down some of the keying, but it appears that it should fit (looks OK visually, haven't actually tried it yet).

Hopefully this saves somebody some time/money/frustration! If not, we can all just share a laugh at my blunder, and the rest of you can congratulate yourselves on how forward-thinking you are. wink

Here I try to solve the "where, when, what how.." about the population of the board:
http://www.kosagi.com/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=281

Something to cheer you all up:

178,50 EUROs for all 33 PCBs -->5,41 per PCB
(just payed the invoice yesterday)

Does  the MCU have a bootloader for it's firmware factory  loaded?  I guess not.

The Senoko battery board is programmed by the main Novena board.  You hold the "Reflash" button, then run a program that programs it over the serial pins.  There's an STM32 bootloader built in to the ROM that takes care of all that.

I've been doing this a lot lately.  Working on the code means lots of reflashing.

xobs wrote:

The Senoko battery board is programmed by the main Novena board.  You hold the "Reflash" button, then run a program that programs it over the serial pins.  There's an STM32 bootloader built in to the ROM that takes care of all that.

I've been doing this a lot lately.  Working on the code means lots of reflashing.

I didn't tried that! I always reflashed with the programmer, but this is a really nice feature smile

I'm interested in one, preferably assembled.

Renaud wrote:

I'm interested in one, preferably assembled.

I didn't thought we'll get to this point. But from my last count I think we have candidates for all 33 boards at the moment.
So I'll have to start a waiting list by now.
Suggestion: we'll wait with how much working boards we really end up and then we try to figure out who might be willing to let go his/her spare board.
Or if the intrest gets big enought, I may be convincable to do a second run...

Renaud: If you're still interested I can leave you one of my boards.
I ordered two originally, because I thought that I will assemble them by myself. Now if they will be assembled professionally, I don't need my backup board :-)

mclien: So if you don't have any problem with it, can you please rewrite order one of my boards to Renaud. Thank you.

That's OK for me.
BTW: lokk in the assambly thraed, there's update for the "final" prize with explanation.

mclien