Re: battery board

Today came in the mail the PCBs I ordered from oshpark! I still have to test them but they are looking great smile

http://i.imgur.com/aOVGB5c.jpg

I hope the changes to the board won't be too dramatic and I can use it with the final laptop board! If not I will rework it or order another one smile

mclien wrote:

population:
seems we have no way to get a BOM and a pick and place list form the Altium sources. If anyone could extract that and provde me with it, I could try to get a good price for the population, too.

I posted the BOM a while ago, here you have it:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dj6aw617tz4r1 … na-bom.ods

Oh, sorry missed that.

So the pick and place list would be fantastic, too. If someone could provide that

I'm also interested in a board, in a board-components kit or populated.
I think we should wait for the final version. November-December is
enough for me to have the board.

Ballanux, the boards look great.

Thanks mclien and ballanux.

mclien: I'm definitely interested in one!

fwiw, the production version of Senoko has some changes you may want to be aware of:

http://www.kosagi.com/w/index.php?title … T_ECO_List

The most significant one is the introduction of a support rib in the case design that intrudes into the Senoko PCB, and so the board outline is slightly modified to accommodate this rib.

If you are using the DVT design, you can notch the rib or simply cut it out to fit the old board into the case.

The other major change is the secondary protection circuit had to be modified because the original IC is EOL and not recommended for new designs (it's still available in distribution, but probably not for much longer). It probably won't have an impact on building your own board, though, because there seems to be plenty stock of this chip in distribution right now.

Another minor change is one of the ADC inputs to the MCU is remapped, to allow the possibility of hacking up a method to detect what kind of charger is present, assuming you can find the mating connector and wire it up accordingly. This isn't an "officially supported" feature (as many custom laptop charger connectors are patented/difficult to obtain/require a license to use) but rather a mod to make DIY solutions easier.

bunnie wrote:

If you are using the DVT design, you can notch the rib or simply cut it out to fit the old board into the case.

Great! I really should have waited to the final version, I will try to make it work with the DVT version but, if I can't, I may build the new one as I should have almost all the components needed smile

I'm currently populating the board, I'm mostly done but I don't know if I will be able to finish it this week:

http://i.imgur.com/ylNHPNS.jpg

It really has been much easier than expected, to solder the QFN packages it's necessary to use solder paste and hot air, but if you have the tools, it's just matter of being careful. I have checked that I don't have any short-circuits but anyway I still have to wait to know if it works!

If anyone downloaded the BOM I posted some time ago, they should re-download it, there were a couple of mistakes. As you can see in the photo I bought the incorrect version of the BAS16 diodes (you can see one in the top-left corner placed at angle inside the SOT-23 footprint), also I bought two terminal current sense resistors instead of four terminal ones... I may still try with the two terminal resistors, it shouldn't be too much difference hmm

Anyway, I hope I can finish it soon and test it! I plan to make a small adapter board and try to power up a Raspberry PI with the battery board smile

bunnie wrote:

fwiw, the production version of Senoko has some changes you may want to be aware of:

http://www.kosagi.com/w/index.php?title … T_ECO_List

The most significant one is the introduction of a support rib in the case design that intrudes into the Senoko PCB, and so the board outline is slightly modified to accommodate this rib.

Is there a plan when to release the final version of the battery PCB? Or can you drop a line here, when it's uploaded?
I'll wait for the final version and will then decide, how much to order.

I'll put a list of who is interested in how many here for everybody to check, before I do so.

mclien

ballanux wrote:
bunnie wrote:

Great! I really should have waited to the final version, I will try to make it work with the DVT version but, if I can't, I may build the new one as I should have almost all the components needed smile

I'm currently populating the board, I'm mostly done but I don't know if I will be able to finish it this week:

http://i.imgur.com/ylNHPNS.jpg

It really has been much easier than expected, to solder the QFN packages it's necessary to use solder paste and hot air, but if you have the tools, it's just matter of being careful. I have checked that I don't have any short-circuits but anyway I still have to wait to know if it works!

If anyone downloaded the BOM I posted some time ago, they should re-download it, there were a couple of mistakes. As you can see in the photo I bought the incorrect version of the BAS16 diodes (you can see one in the top-left corner placed at angle inside the SOT-23 footprint), also I bought two terminal current sense resistors instead of four terminal ones... I may still try with the two terminal resistors, it shouldn't be too much difference hmm

Anyway, I hope I can finish it soon and test it! I plan to make a small adapter board and try to power up a Raspberry PI with the battery board smile

Nice work Ballanux. You're inspiring me to break out a soldering iron. Can you paste some links to some of the tools you've been using for this project? Thanks.

34 (edited by ballanux 2014-07-11 00:28:48)

hypermeta wrote:

Nice work Ballanux. You're inspiring me to break out a soldering iron. Can you paste some links to some of the tools you've been using for this project? Thanks.

I use my soldering station (Aoyue Int 738) which has soldering iron and hot air. I use solder paste for some components (U200, U102, U100 and U301) and solder wire to finish these components and do the rest of the board. I also use a flux pen, solder wick and isopropyl alcohol to clean the flux at the end.

Anyway, if you don't have a lot of experience soldering... I don't recommend that you try to do this by yourself, I'm working everyday with prototypes and this isn't an easy one. I thought it would be much difficult, but that doesn't mean it's easy!

I still haven't had time to finish the board, so I still don't know if I have messed up something somewhere... I hope to have some time this weekend

ballanux wrote:
hypermeta wrote:

I use my soldering station (Aoyue Int 738) which has soldering iron and hot air. I use solder paste for some components (U200, U102, U100 and U301) and solder wire to finish these components and do the rest of the board. I also use a flux pen, solder wick and isopropyl alcohol to clean the flux at the end.

Anyway, if you don't have a lot of experience soldering... I don't recommend that you try to do this by yourself, I'm working everyday with prototypes and this isn't an easy one. I thought it would be much difficult, but that doesn't mean it's easy!

I still haven't had time to finish the board, so I still don't know if I have messed up something somewhere... I hope to have some time this weekend

I don't think you can properly solder U200 without solder paste and hot air, but for everything else all you need is a soldering iron, tin wire (leaded is easier to work with), and lots of flux, as in "lather your solder pads with flux". It was more than enough to build a handful of Travis's goodfets.

Now, if you never ever soldered anything electronic before, better try your hand on something easier with passthru components.

I am interested in such a board as I got myself the desktop version. I think it could be fun for all of us novena euronerds to have a common workshop during the CCC in Hamburg, where we order all the parts and assemble them during the 4-day event.

dermiste wrote:

I don't think you can properly solder U200 without solder paste and hot air, but for everything else all you need is a soldering iron, tin wire (leaded is easier to work with), and lots of flux, as in "lather your solder pads with flux". It was more than enough to build a handful of Travis's goodfets.

Now, if you never ever soldered anything electronic before, better try your hand on something easier with passthru components.

I am interested in such a board as I got myself the desktop version. I think it could be fun for all of us novena euronerds to have a common workshop during the CCC in Hamburg, where we order all the parts and assemble them during the 4-day event.

U102 and U200 are the only ones with interior thermal pads, but if you have the solder paste, it's easier and cleaner use it in other components. This is what I usually do:

• pre-tin the pads with the paste

• reflow the paste (if you don't do this is too easy to end up with too much paste which causes short-circuits)

• clean the excess with solder wick

• apply flux

• place the component

• reflow with hot air

• apply more tin with the wire tin in any pin needed (not usually required)

• clean with isopropyl alcohol

It's a slower process, but for the high pin count components I think it's worth the effort

Today I finished populating the board! Turns out I ordered the wrong supercap footprint, but anyway I was able to solder it smile

http://i.imgur.com/rJIHpus.jpg

After finishing, I cleaned the board, checked for shorts, compiled the ChibiOS firmware and flashed the micro. The only thing I have checked so far is that I can flash the micro and that (obviously) the micro has the correct 3.3 supply. I don't want to plug the batteries until I know that everything works. I plan to make an adapter board to plug the RaspberryPI to the Senoko board, this way I will be able to talk to it through the UART and SMB.

http://i.imgur.com/OATOiZ0.jpg

So, now I will work on this adapter board, I will put a 5V regulator on it to power the Raspberry PI from the battery board. I bought the corresponding male SATA connector and I will use wire wrapping wire to make the necessary connections to a rPI-type (2x13) header.

I have a couple of 3S1P LiPo batteries to test when I'm ready, but I also have a bunch of LiIon 18650 batteries, with them I could put together a nice 3S2P battery pack. Looking at the BQ24765RUV datasheet it seems that the LiIon chemistry is also supported.

I'm still waiting for the uploads of the new PCB design. as soon they are online, I'll be back with news and gathering the final list.

39 (edited by mclien 2014-09-05 01:06:15)

OK, here is the update. (Bunnie has uploaded the source for the last version).
I'll pass that to my wife and get it into production. (I think there won't be siginicifant chage in price)

Please check this list (collection from the thread), to make sure I didn't missed one:
Vumber    1
hypermeta    2
kennyr    1
Linius    2
pelrun    2(?)
raziel    2 (min)
immaculate    1
dbtayl    1
GuzTech    1 (2)
panrc    1
adj        2
fun        1
dermiste  1
mclien      1 (2)
EDIT:(here I add the follow ups of "oderers")
ballanux  1
kiubiq      1 (2)
machy     2
roheve     1
aguki        2 (via email)
eightdot    2

Total:    28 (32)  (still one lot so far)

This is 28 min. so I think that's pretty good enought for the 33 lot (from which some may fail in production).

Or shall we promote this somehow to collect some more people?
If so how?
@bunnie: Do you like to mention it in your blog?

dermiste wrote:

.[...].I think it could be fun for all of us novena euronerds to have a common workshop during the CCC in Hamburg, where we order all the parts and assemble them during the 4-day event.

Opened a thread for that:
http://www.kosagi.com/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=169#p169

Ok, count me for one board, mine works well, but this way I will have the same revision as everybody

I have almost all the components so I would only need the PCB... anyway keep us updated when you get prices on only PCB or assembled... it the price is reasonable, it's nice to have a perfectly assembled board. Do you have some other company to do the assembly?

So the changes are minor, I think I can stand to the 10EUR (perhaps less or incl. shipping) for the board only. This is, when selling all boards. I expect at least 30 working from the 33 lot. We have interest for ~20 here, so I think I'll take the rest on my risk.
Once the boards are ordered I'll investigate some connections for the assembling. Do you have alternative connections?

Thanks mclien. I don't mind getting one or two boards, It depends
on the shipping cost to spain. Thanks again for your effort.

adj wrote:

Thanks mclien. I don't mind getting one or two boards, It depends
on the shipping cost to spain. Thanks again for your effort.

Wow! I'm from Zaragoza, I thought I might be the only one in Spain big_smile

mclien wrote:

Once the boards are ordered I'll investigate some connections for the assembling. Do you have alternative connections?

Actually at my work we could do the assembly, but we usually work with high volumes... That's why I didn't say anything before. Anyway I will talk to production to see if it would be possible.

To setup the board in the pick and place machine you have to stop production during that period, that's why it may result in a cost too high for 20~30 boards, and that's why I did mine by hand.

45 (edited by voxadam 2014-08-06 14:45:29)

I'm interested in a board as long as it's the final design.

I'm hoping to order a Novena board soon. I was initially planning on buying the laptop edition but I've been busy thinking about a case design that is less like a laptop or desktop and more like an industrial type handheld device so I've opted to buy just the board. If there was an option to buy the main board and the battery board I'd buy that but so far that hasn't become an option.

--adam

mclien, I am Vumber. Unfortunately it has been a while since I last used my first account. I therefore forgot my password. I used a temporary e-mail address to register my first account and so I am unable to it.

I just wanted this to be clear so that I will still be able to get a Senoko PCB from you smile ?

I am currently compiling a list of urls with the BOM for Senoko so that I can order all the parts. I will post my list when I am done, hoping that someone will check if I have made any mistakes.

Hi Vumber,
as you see above, I have you on the list, but thanks for verfying.

BTW: Sorry for the delay, was unexpected offline for a while

Hi Mclien,
if you still have open order list for the battery board. Please add two boards for me.
Thank you
Machy

49 (edited by roheve 2014-08-13 22:23:12)

I am interested in a board too. (I ordered the Desktop SKU).

Not sure yet I when I'm going to buld it ( I have not soldered SMD's ever, but many normal PCB's, even if that is already long ago), but maybe it could be assembled (watching the thread).

It would be nice to use my 'Desktop' without a wire connected too smile 
Also because it's open, I could experiment with batteries and firmware (with something cheap as a load, like a RPi).

50 (edited by mclien 2014-08-14 03:57:13)

@machy and roheve

should work, added you to the list (see post #39)
(I expect at least 30 of the 33 to work..)