Topic: novena-image additional packages?

Is there a source available for built versions of the additional packages used by the novena-image wrapper scripts?

I think probably all of them are available as source from xobs' github, I'm just hoping I can be lazy and download them all from someplace. smile

Cheers,

Angus

PS xobs, sorry I never actually followed up on the Debian installer thing. Still interested, but no idea if/when I'll make the time.

Re: novena-image additional packages?

I really need to sign the newer packages and put them up on the repo.  You can manually grab them from http://repo.novena.io/repo/pool/main/ for now, if you don't want to build them yourself.

3 (edited by projectgus 2014-12-21 19:01:39)

Thanks xobs. I have now generated a working Jessie disk image with novena-image, works great.

I sent you a PR on github with a couple of tweaks to the novena-image script that I found useful.

One other thing I was wondering about - I found I had to manually create a zImage & novena.dtd file in the /boot partition for uboot to find. Is that intended to be delegated to either a package or the novena-image script, or is that the way you intended for it to be?

Cheers,

Angus

The process of actually installing the kernel is taken care of by the bootloader.  I put the script in u-boot-novena.

The kernel installation is taken care of by the postinst of the package:

https://github.com/xobs/u-boot-novena/b … n/postinst

The kernel installation after u-boot has been installed is taken care of by a different script that lives in /etc/kernel/postinst.d/ located at https://github.com/xobs/u-boot-novena/b … l-postinst

Thanks xobs. The uboot novena post-inst ran for me and I got u-boot.img/u-boot.spl, but it seems like for some reason the novena-kernel-install-postinst didn't run.

I'll have a poke around and try and figure out what happened (my script has the mentioned changes in it, and I'm cross-building, so it's quite likely I introduced a bug).

Angus

Ah yes, I do recall there's an order-of-operations.  the postinst script won't run due to a file put in place to prevent it, but the hook script from u-boot will run, which does the actual installation.

Make sure you install u-boot before you install the kernel, otherwise the script won't exist.

That makes sense.

The way I was running novena-image, was with the changes I made including allowing all packages to come via apt-get (less fiddly than finding and downloading them all). apt-get doesn't apply any ordering apart from whatever it works out from the dependency tree, so uboot-novena was named before on the command line but got installed after.

I can think of potential fixes/workarounds when using apt-get, although I guess they all depend on whether you're interested in merging those changes or not.

If you are thinking of maybe incorporating those changes, possible fixes/workarounds I can think of include:

- Have linux-image-novena depend on novena-uboot.

- Add a special case to novena-image.sh so if novena-uboot is in the list of packages, it runs 'apt get install novena-uboot' first before it does the main multi-package apt-get install.

- Extend the novena-kernel-post-install-postinst script a bit so it can run in one of two cases. If called from kernel postinst then it does what it does now. If called from uboot postinst then it find the newest installed kernel and copies that in, instead.

If any of these sound good (or any other option) then I'm happy to try to implement and test, send another pull request.

Angus