26 (edited by chris4795 2016-03-29 09:30:12)

Re: Debian installer for Novena?

Hey Sourcerer,

I will do that! I am making a new one with a couple of other changes. As soon as that is done, I will post the file.

27 (edited by chris4795 2016-03-29 20:35:20)

Here is the uploaded installer image:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= … XJvLWNQMTA

The sha512 hash is

5a1a6c834ad4e315084b8051d7f8b4ac09df0936b6921e44c7424d4ae669310b65fa8846df057876a5f1a19654a886dfb2f61dda208061a3390cd7fc10d78780

IAW with the GPLv2, here is the source code:
https://github.com/chris4795/novena-debian-installer

@chris4795 Thanks smile smile

You're welcome! I hope it was useful.

chris4795 wrote:

You're welcome! I hope it was useful.

Yes It's very Use Full... smile smile

31 (edited by chris4795 2016-04-02 07:12:50)

Hey All,

One other thing I created for this installer (it's not on the image):

https://github.com/chris4795/novena-kernel-backup

Whenever the kernel is updated (or installed), the current uInitrd, zimage, and novena.dtb are renamed to *.recovery* . That way, if the kernel installation messed up for any reason, you can just press the 'user' button and it will boot up with the previous kernel configuration.

It will work whether you added the microsd card as /boot in fstab, or decided to leave it unmounted.

EDIT (7:12 PM EST): I updated the file, so in the unlikely event that you used it within the first 40 minutes of this post being here, please update to the newest file. It has a bit better file handling.

Hello,

having multiple issues using the installer on the Novena, I am happy if anybody can tell me what I am doing wrong, or answer questions below...
My goal is to install Debian to a connected sata-1 drive. I downloaded the installer image linked at the instruction page [1] and checked sha512sum.

1) What is the password for ssh?
Until choosing the proxy everything is fine. The a text appears:
"To continue the installation, please use an SSH client to connet to the IP address <ip addresss> and log on as the "installer" user. For example: ssh installer@<IP address of the Novena>. The fingerprint on this SSH server's host key is: ...
Please check carefully against fingerprint reported by you ssh client."

When trying to logon via ssh from another computer to the Novena, I have to type the password for the user "installer". What is the password?

2) What needs to be done to get the root device?
When ignoring the ssh text and continuing the installer, I am able to install Debian on the sata drive. But when booting the installation the following message shows more than 10 times:

"Begin: Runnin /scripts/local-block ... done"

Then the boot process stops before reaching grub and shows
"Gave up waiting for root device. Common problems:
- Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
  - Check rootdelay= (did the system wait long enough?)
  - Check root= (did the system wait for the right device?)
- Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev)"

It leaves me on busybox.

cat /proc/cmdline shows:
rootwait ro root=UUID=... console =tty0

cat /proc/modules about 20 lines, nothing novena specific.

I am able to mount /dev/sda1 manually. Because of this I tried to adjust on the SD card uEnv.txt to sda1 (setenv rootdev /dev/sda1), which did not help.

I had a look at /scripts/local-block. With my limited knowledge it would be a huge task to find out if there is an issue.

3) The "When asked what kernel to install..." question is not asked
"When asked what kernel to install, select "none" is written at the instructon page [1].
This question never appeared to me. Did something went wrong?

Thanks for any help

[1] https://github.com/thesourcerer8/novena … -installer

1) The password is "kosagi" , it is configurable in the preseed.cfg
line 32: d-i network-console/password password kosagi

2) What partitioning scheme did you use? One big partition, or dedicated /home partition, ...? Did you use encryption? (So that I an reproduce it)

3) No, that's fine when you are not asked. Usually the question should be supressed automatically, but it seemed to me that it did not work all the time.

I'm having the exact same problems linob describes: I too booted from an sd card using the mmc image provided, and got the debian installer running, so far so good.

I was also ignorant of the 'installer' password, so I was not able to ssh in and continue that way; instead, I kept going with the default installer.

Also like linob, I had a sata driver mounted, so I chose that as the target; I went with the default "all in one partition", unencrypted.

The debian installer gave a notice to remove installation media before restart.

I thought about taking out the sd card, but I remembered from another thread that the novena needs it, so I left it in.

Then, I get the same exact messages linob describes in 2).

Doing 'cat /proc/cmdline' results in a single line featuring the UUID of my sata driver, but obviously it's not resolving correctly, and I'm not sure how to get it resolved.

You shouldn't need the ssh access of the installer, this is only valid during the installation, it wont help you afterwards. If you have a screen and keyboard, you can do everything locally, without needing a network during the installation.
Oh, there is a notice to remove installation media? I am sorry, I didn't noticed that, I will try to remove that. That notice shouldnt't be there, and you shouldn't remove the sd card. You have to leave the micro sd card it in there, otherwise it cannot boot.
There are 2 different places in the uEnv.txt that do the setenv rootdev , please try to change both of them to /dev/sda1 or whichever the root partition is for you.

Thank you for replying so quickly!

How can I edit the uEnv.txt file?

At the moment, when I try to boot, I get dropped into an intrafms shell, and I haven't found many docs on how it works.

I should also mention: in addition to the errors reported by linob, I also got these messages:

modprobe: module i8042 not found in modules.dep
modprobe: module atkbd not found in modules.dep
modprobe: module ehci_orion not found in modules.dep
modprobe: module uhci_hcd not found in modules.dep
modprobe: module ohci_hcd not found in modules.dep

I'm not sure if it's all related to the same issue of not being able to find the rootdev location, or a symptom of it.

38 (edited by chris4795 2016-08-30 00:36:24)

Hello!

I remember having this issue. In the thid line of the uEnv.txt (where it asked for the UUID), you need to change that to the UUID of the root disk. When it drops to the initramfs console, go to /dev/disk/by-uuid/ . One of them is the correct one (I honestly forget which one, just try each one until it boots).

I edited the uEnv.txt file by moving the microSD card to another computer and editing it there.

Ah, chris4795, thank you, that fixed it!

Step-by-step installation guide

I wrote this, because I met somebody who has a novena board too and he asked for a simple installation guide. I think it makes sense to post it here too.

Here is a step-by-step tutorial for installing Debian Jessie to a SATA drive on the novena board using the installer of [1]. In my case is the Novena connected to an external monitor, a keyboard and via LAN to the internet.

1) Download the installer image from [1].

2) Write the installer image to a sd card (using e.g. the command "dd").

3) Plug the written sd card in the corresponding slot on your novena board.

4) Power Novena on and install Debian.

a) After configuring language, location, locales, keymap, primary network interface, hostname, domain, debian-mirror, proxy the following text appears:

To continue the installation, please use an SSH client to connet to the IP address <ip addresss> and log on as the "installer" user. For example: ssh installer@<IP address of the Novena>. The fingerprint on this SSH server's host key is: ...  Please check carefully against fingerprint reported by you ssh client.

This text can be ignored.

b) After configuring root and user accounts, you are asked for disk partitons.
In my case I chose "Guided - use entire disk" without using LVM. So the partition table looks like:

#1 primary ... ext2 /boot
#2 primary ... ext4
#5 logical ... swap

c) After the installation, you system will reboot and show

Begin: Runnin /scripts/local-block ... done

Then the boot process stops before reaching grub and shows

Gave up waiting for root device. Common problems:
- Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
  - Check rootdelay= (did the system wait long enough?)
  - Check root= (did the system wait for the right device?)
- Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev)
ALERT! ...

5) Correct uEnv.txt on the sd card
Take the SD card to another PC and change on the first partition of the sd card the file uEnv.txt using a text editor, which consists of 5 lines:
The first 2 lines (initrd_addr_r= ... and fh_initramfs_try=fatloac ...") and the last line (finalhook=...) must not be changed.
In line 3 is a UUID hardcoded, which has to be replaced with the UUID of the linux partition of your sata-harddrive you chose in 4b), in my case the UUID of /dev/sda2.
Line 4 ends with "rootdev /dev/...". Here you need to put in the device of the linux partition of your sata-harddrive, in my case "/dev/sda2" (without the quotations marks).

After that Debian boots fine from the sata drive.

Thanks for the help of the people in this forum, especially Sourcerer and chris4795.

Hth and regards
linob