Topic: Crowdsupply Update #19. Follow-up question

In the last update at crowdsupply there was the "Desktop passthrough" topic.
I just ask, because the update mentions only the Desktop backers. Leaving the questions, if the "mainboard only" backers will get the passthrough board, too?
If not, there are 2 options:
- the "multiple code configuration" will araise again
- building the breakout board as community project (possibly me again, after the battery board ;-))

(hope I didn't misread something in the update)

Re: Crowdsupply Update #19. Follow-up question

"Mainboard Only" backers won't get the "desktop passthrough" board, since its primary purpose is to manage power in a desktop configuration.

We're not sure what uses people will have for the bare board.  Some people will use it as a network server, NAS, media server, or development platform where it might never get turned off.  In these cases, having power go directly to the board is desirable.

The Senoko board, in either configuration, will be configured as a Linux MFD, where it can act as a GPIO port expander / power supply / etc.  The solution to the "multiple code configuration" in this case is to delete that device tree node on configurations that don't have a Senoko.  This is similar to how we will remove the LCD on bare-board configurations, or the SBS battery chip in Desktop and Bare configurations.

Having said that, the circuit is really simple, and could certainly be done at someplace like 31C3!  Certainly moreso than the battery board.

3 (edited by mclien 2014-10-08 18:05:50)

xobs wrote:

Having said that, the circuit is really simple, and could certainly be done at someplace like 31C3!  Certainly moreso than the battery board.

Yeah, but since the PCBs of the battery boards are allready done and ready for population...
EDIT/BTW:
can you provide the pick and place for the battery board?

The "multiple code" configuration problem isn't an issue for bare boards because the bare board doesn't have a soft power control feature. You turn the board off by unplugging it. This is the typical situation for most stand-alone embedded controllers, as the power system requirements are use-case specific and assumed to be a problem solved by the system integrator.

Desktop and laptop units have an actual extra button, mounted on the front bezel, whose intent is to act as a soft power control feature. The soft power button is present in these units as the least surprising behavior for a cased unit is to have a power button, and to not have to unplug power to the unit to turn it off.

I'll try to remember to post more derivative information files when I do my next refresh of the source tree, but fwiw the pick and place can be generated from the Altium source. I'm presuming since you're asking, though, you don't have access to Altium.

Thanks for the explanations.
I seem to be the one that is gathering the DIY-case builders. An option the crowdfunding didn't supply (which would be the bare Mainboard and bare battery board). So my initial question was somehow a mental preperation for building the next board, even tought the battery board story isn't finfish. ;-)
(but I tink that's more unlikely, because most DIY guys go for the laptop)

And right, I have no access to Altium, but with the knowledge of I could hint the (possible) populaters to that. (Perhaps they knew, I guess).