1 (edited by Jookia 2019-09-17 07:12:23)

Topic: Novena Buster kernel WIP release

Hi! I've re-done a lot of the kernel patches and ported it to 4.19, and with it: Debian Buster!

Version 4.19.y-novena-wip2:
- Source: https://github.com/novena-next/novena-l … ovena-wip2
- Debian package: http://novena.jookia.org/linux-image-4. … _armhf.deb
- Debian package source: https://github.com/novena-next/debian-l … ovena-wip2
- Bare board device tree: http://novena.jookia.org/imx6q-novena.dtb
Hashes:
1b4b56f387e8769d58ee8541bacc9b01738314428ddc54269d8eb1ed7569487a  imx6q-novena.dtb
6686f7d18ce049d2d89947909e6f34aa30fbcd96ddce89fd5d6a296aa895ee4c  linux-image-4.19.0-6-armmp_4.19.67-2.novena.wip2_armhf.deb
(Make sure to check these, website isn't HTTPS and packages aren't signed yet)

How to use:
- Install Debian Buster using its Novena image. You may need HDMI for this.
- Install the .deb file using dpkg -i
- If you're using the bare board, copy imx6q-novena.dtb to /boot/dtbs/4.19.0-6-armmp/imx6q-novena.dtb OR YOUR BOARD WILL CRASH
- Reboot

What still needs to be done:
- More testing, laptop testing (I don't have a laptop)
- More documentation for an install
- x86-video-armada package for video acceleration (likely next)
- A debian repo
- u-boot package and port
- software for eeeprom viewer, irqbalance, etc

For kernel builders: The ~20 patches on the branch should be easily portable to whichever kernel you want. Just rebase and update your config with this. The patches will not conflict with other boards so they can safely be included in a larger multiplatform kernel.

CONFIG_KEYBOARD_SENOKO=m
CONFIG_CHARGER_SENOKO=m
CONFIG_MFD_SENOKO=m
CONFIG_GPIO_74XX_MMIO=m
CONFIG_GPIO_SYSCON=m
CONFIG_DRM_IT6251=m
CONFIG_SND_SOC_FSL_SAI=m
CONFIG_SND_SOC_FSL_ESAI=m
CONFIG_SND_SOC_FSL_ASOC_CARD=m

Re: Novena Buster kernel WIP release

Impressive!

3 (edited by chris4795 2019-10-12 22:56:32)

Hello!

For some help:

- More testing, laptop testing (I don't have a laptop)
I have one, but it really shouldn't matter for that. DO you have a desktop?

- More documentation for an install

- x86-video-armada package for video acceleration (likely next)
I seem to recall that was not needed for video acceleration?

- A debian repo

- u-boot package and port
Look in my github. I ported it over and it seemed to work well. I just didn't have the "button" feature (if the button is hit while the lid is closed, stop).

- software for eeeprom viewer, irqbalance, etc
I'd have to look at that.

Also, where are the patches? I did not see them

The patches are in the git branch. x86-video-armada is still needed for video acceleration, and I've recently gotten a laptop. So when I find some more time I'll try working on an upgrade path.

5 (edited by chris4795 2019-10-14 00:19:12)

I am trying to compile your kernel from the github. Do you have a defconfig file for novena?

EDIT: Alo, I get a build error with your release:

"scripts/extract-cert.c:21:25: fatal error: openssl/bio.h: No such file or directory
#include <openssl/bio.h>
                         ^
compilation terminated.
scripts/Makefile.host:90: recipe for target 'scripts/extract-cert' failed
make[1]: *** [scripts/extract-cert] Error 1
make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
"

EDIT: Nevermind, looks like I needed to install "libssl-dev"

Hello jookia!

Great work!

I was going to put some time into my novena again soon.

Jookia, weren't you porting nixos to novena? I'm really into nix nowadays.

Wow, it's been a hot minute since I've gotten back to this.
I have a laptop now and a kernel I'm almost confident to push a beta for with install instructions for Buster using my repo. No compiling needed.
The only thing holding it back at the moment is a regression with audio drivers I found yesterday that causes a very loud sound if certain settings are configured a certain way. So 3D graphics and everything is working, as slow as they are. tongue

As for NixOS, yes I did port NixOS to the Novena back in 2015 but stagnated since I had to compile everything all the time as they didn't have an ARMv7 port.

Hey Jookia. Thanks for the awesome work. I haven't got around to testing your 4.19 kernel, I'm still on 4.14 (sid). I've been using the novena as my main server, but have migrated to an RPI so I can start testing the 4.19 kernel. Let me know if you want a hand with testing smile

I'll take you up on that. I wouldn't bother with the 4.19 kernel I've posted just yet- I'm writing better instructions to integrate it with Debian's systems.

So what's your take on the NixOS support now? I'm about to make an attempt with it on novena

Shouldn't be too much trouble. I'll tryo to give a general overview once I'm done with this release of Novena changes needed to a distro, but at the bare minimum it's kernel, u-boot and xf86-video-armada support.
I've unfortunately had to delay the release and work on it by a few weeks because I managed to catch COVID-19 which is not great. Stay indoors and wash your hands!

That's terrible Jookia. I've been in isolation with my family since the 11 March for this reason.
Take care of yourself

I've made a much better release that you can try now: Please see https://www.kosagi.com/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=3428