Topic: Keyboard

Will Novena Laptop edition come with a Keyboard?
If not, please provide recommendations about which keyboard we should buy at least 1 month before shipping the Novenas, so that we can buy them just-in-time to avoid frustration upon delivery ;-)

Re: Keyboard

According to the CrowdSupply page, no keyboard is included ("As everyone has their own keyboard preference, no keyboard is included.").

Like a lot of people, I really like the keyboards on ThinkPads. The "classic" USB keyboards are hard to come by and/or expensive these days, so I'm currently planning on getting one of the current-generation USB keyboards and gutting it:

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/itemdetail … 1FF88E33C7

It's just a USB keyboard, so it should be plug-and-play.

Otherwise... whatever you'd like. The heirloom laptop is, IIRC, shipping with the bluetooth version of the keyboard I linked to above. I don't see the point of using wireless, though.

And, as a disclaimer, this is just my opinion, which definitely doesn't carry any official weight.

No particular recommendation about the keyboard. xobs has his favorite, I have mine. I'm using a Thinkpad Bluetooth keyboard, Lenovo FRU P/N 03X8697, and with the recent patch to Debian Jessie it seems to be working much better than before, although I literally installed it a few hours ago so I'll know more about that later on.

However, you're going to want a regular USB keyboard and mouse around to set up your bluetooth keyboard, so at the very least you'll want one of those around. Novena works with any standard HID device.

I have bought the Thinkpad keyboard because I would like to be able to put the keyboard like you show here:

http://bunniefoo.com/novena/novena-keyholder-otg.jpg

Do you have STL files that you can share for that mounting pieces?

Thanks!

Bunnie, xobs, could you publish instructions to make the adapter connector for the 30c3 prototype thinkpad keyboard? I like thinkpad keyboards, but the external bt thinkpad keyboard is too think for integration inside the novena laptop.

adj wrote:

Bunnie, xobs, could you publish instructions to make the adapter connector for the 30c3 prototype thinkpad keyboard? I like thinkpad keyboards, but the external bt thinkpad keyboard is too think for integration inside the novena laptop.

For what it's worth, the USB ThinkPad keyboard comes apart very easily, and the actual keyboard part is only a few mm thick. Plus it's easy to connect via USB.

Otherwise you might be interested in something like this:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a- … h-Arduino/

dbtay wrote:

For what it's worth, the USB ThinkPad keyboard comes apart very easily, and the actual keyboard part is only a few mm thick. Plus it's easy to connect via USB.

Otherwise you might be interested in something like this:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a- … h-Arduino/

Unfortunately, he has closed sales of that kit - and his other kit is closed source.  I'm still hoping to find a similar matching keyboard connector (for longer term capability) and have yet to disassemble my thinkpad usb keyboard (which would be a short term option, due to the limited availability of the thinkpad USB keyboard with the /nice/ keyboard layout {some might say, the 'correct' layout...  I'd probably be none of those to say that})

Well if it's closed, I'm really less interested (and is kinda "wrong" while the rest of the hardware is open, especially with the bdaUSB around out there).
So I started a new thread to focus on the internal tinkpad keyboard thing here:
http://www.kosagi.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=93

adj, for the 30c3 boards, we completely cheated and just used the built-in USB controller, wired to some of the headers.  Though I do know of at least one project out there that is capable of reading directly from the keyboards.

xobs wrote:

adj, for the 30c3 boards, we completely cheated and just used the built-in USB controller, wired to some of the headers.  Though I do know of at least one project out there that is capable of reading directly from the keyboards.

Do you mean that the thinkpad keyboard has a build-in USB controller? If that's the case, I don't understand why you say you cheated, why can't I connect it the same way?

I think people were under the impression that we did our own keyboard controller.  Those exist, but the mod was entirely a hardware one.  No firmware was modified.

You could very easily do the same thing, since the Thinkpad Compact USB Keyboard is, of course, a USB keyboard.

bunnie wrote:

No particular recommendation about the keyboard. xobs has his favorite, I have mine. I'm using a Thinkpad Bluetooth keyboard, Lenovo FRU P/N 03X8697, and with the recent patch to Debian Jessie it seems to be working much better than before, although I literally installed it a few hours ago so I'll know more about that later on.

However, you're going to want a regular USB keyboard and mouse around to set up your bluetooth keyboard, so at the very least you'll want one of those around. Novena works with any standard HID device.

Did you have to do anything special (xinput, udev, hal, etc) in order to get the TrackPoint on this keyboard to work with the Novena? I have paired my keyboard and can type and the function keys work as expected, but the TrackPoint and the mouse buttons do nothing. xev doesn't show any output for them either.

zwick wrote:
bunnie wrote:

Did you have to do anything special (xinput, udev, hal, etc) in order to get the TrackPoint on this keyboard to work with the Novena? I have paired my keyboard and can type and the function keys work as expected, but the TrackPoint and the mouse buttons do nothing. xev doesn't show any output for them either.

Hello,

I have no had any of those problems with the bluetooth keyboard

@chris4795 That is what I was afraid I might hear. I will have to find a friend with machine with bluetooth to test my keyboard out on before I write it off as bad.