Topic: WiFi antenna placement

Does anyone have advice for placing the WiFi antennas that come with the Novena Laptop? I assume you use the sticky aspect to stick them to the inside of the case. Do people like to attach them to the lid, or the case, or one to each? Should they be parallel to each other or perpendicular?

Also, the system came with a coil of flat copper wire. What is the intended use for that? Is it related to the antennas?

Thanks!

Re: WiFi antenna placement

fls wrote:

Does anyone have advice for placing the WiFi antennas that come with the Novena Laptop? I assume you use the sticky aspect to stick them to the inside of the case. Do people like to attach them to the lid, or the case, or one to each? Should they be parallel to each other or perpendicular?

Don't stick them to the lid- that's aluminum and will detune the antenna. I'm not an expert on antennas (it's a HUGE field), but I'd hazard a guess that you'd want them far apart and perpendicular to maximize the chances of getting a good signal. Perpendicular would compensate for directivity in the antenna, and far apart would compensate for local obstructions blocking the signal for whatever reason.

fls wrote:

Also, the system came with a coil of flat copper wire. What is the intended use for that? Is it related to the antennas?

I think that's nominally for EMI shielding, so that everybody can bring their laptop into compliance with FCC (or whatever) standards. You don't really have to do anything with it.