1 (edited by lutzray 2015-06-18 07:21:14)

Topic: LCD won't light up, Senoko cold start stucked at mainboard pwr LED

Bonjour,

my laptop doesn't boot anymore!

I've unplugged the battery power cable and balancing cable (the cells voltages are OK, around 4.18V)
kept pressed the reflash button while plugin the barel power connector and the results are:

• the main board red pwr LED lights up

• the front panel white LED lights up

This state remains until I pull the external power, but when
I reinsert the barrel power connector, the two LEDs light up again, but without pressing the reflash button while powering up.

Added: when reconnecting the battery, pressing the front panel power button 'kind of works' and induces the same state:

• the main board red pwr LED lights up

• the front panel white LED lights up

holding the power button for 3 seconds and the two LEDs turn off

toujours pas de backlight and no boot...

What is the next thing to try?

Re: LCD won't light up, Senoko cold start stucked at mainboard pwr LED

If you've got an FTDI or similar USB-serial cable, connecting that to the debug UART during boot might be of help. I wouldn't be surprised if you weren't hitting the backlight issues that other people have seen: http://www.kosagi.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=191

You could also try booting with an HDMI screen connected.

3 (edited by lutzray 2015-06-18 23:24:49)

dbtayl wrote:

If you've got an FTDI or similar USB-serial cable, connecting that to the debug UART during boot might be of help.

I'm not a real hacker and it shows: I don't have an USB-serial cable handy... 8-) Ok, I'm ordering one right now (eh eh, BTW, I  just saw this EEVblog rant about FTDI new drivers bricking peoples devices... quite funny! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU66as4Bbds)

dbtayl wrote:

You could also try booting with an HDMI screen connected.

I tried connecting an external HDMI without success... With an empty HDMI connector, by default the console spew goes to the LCD board , no? How do I divert it to the debug UART? I tried to RTFM but found instructions for PVT1 (or PVT2) only, not for a complete laptop. Some "disassembly required"?

lutzray, add the following line to /boot/uEnv.txt on your SD card to get console to show up on the debug UART:

finalhook=setenv bootargs ${bootargs} console=ttymxc1,115200

If you don't have a USB-serial cable you could also use a Raspberry Pi as it also has TTL serial.  I can explain that if you have one, let us know.

5 (edited by GregRob 2015-06-19 02:32:38)

ok, found this in IRC logs:

On Raspberry Pi pin 6 is GND, 8 is TX, and 10 is RX.
On Novena, counting from the power LED, skip the first pin, the next is TX, the next is RX, and the 6th is GND.

Connect GND to GND, TX to RX and RX to TX.

On the rPi, the serial port is "/dev/ttyAMA0"

6 (edited by GregRob 2015-06-19 02:32:10)

You can also use a 3.3V Arduino as a substitute for USB-serial cable by using the soft-serial library to create a TTL serial port on some of the Arduino pins.  Then just take what comes from one serial port and copy it to the other.

Here is example code that takes everything from the USB serial port and puts it onto pins 9 and 10 of the Arduino.

#include <SoftwareSerial.h> //Software Serial Port
#define RxD 9
#define TxD 10
SoftwareSerial novenaSerial(RxD,TxD);
char incoming;

void setup()
{
  Serial.begin(115200);
  delay(1000);
  pinMode(RxD, INPUT);
  pinMode(TxD, OUTPUT);
  novenSerial.begin(115200); //Set Novena baud rate to 115200
  delay(1000);
  Serial.println("Started");
}

void loop()
{
  if (novenaSerial.available())
    Serial.write(novenaSerial.read());
  if (Serial.available())
    novenaSerial.write(Serial.read());
}

Apologies if there are any typos in the above code, I've cut and paste it from an example I previously used to talk to a bluetooth serial port, and modified it slightly for the Novena.  I'm not sure whether the softserial can actually run at 115,200.  I previously used this at 38,400.  If it can't run fast enough, try setting both serial.begin setting to a lower speed and change the uEnv.txt finalhook line to use a slower speed.

Thanks for all the inputs here (dbtayl and GregRob)...

I'll try the rPi route. But I dunno if I something is wrong with my rPi set-up: last time I tried to access the serial port on my rPi (with minicom to send gcode to my Simple Metal Printrbot, the replies were mangled... I'm running the astroprint distro.

I'll post the results...

Oh, and /boot/uEnv.txt resides on the microSd card on PVT2, right?

8 (edited by lutzray 2015-06-20 09:24:21)

[SOLVED] My laptop doesn't boot because I wiped the uSD card dd'ing a PRINTTOPI image for my Raspberry Pi...
I misread  or mistyped the device name...

<FACEPALM>

Maybe I'll need to start a new topic "I bricked my Novena laptop!" 8-)  For now I'm reading the instructions at "Disk Imaging"

http://kosagi.com/w/index.php?title=Nov … e#Firmware

Can I work on OS X for dd'ing the image and resize partitions?  Hmm, Disk Utility says the fisrt
partition is FAT-16, is it OK? Isn't suposed to be ext4?

lutzray wrote:

[SOLVED] My laptop doesn't boot because I wiped the uSD card dd'ing a PRINTTOPI image for my Raspberry Pi...
I misread  or mistyped the device name...

<FACEPALM>

I think we've all done something similar.

lutzray wrote:

Maybe I'll need to start a new topic "I bricked my Novena laptop!" 8-)  For now I'm reading the instructions at "Disk Imaging"

http://kosagi.com/w/index.php?title=Nov … e#Firmware

Can I work on OS X for dd'ing the image and resize partitions?  Hmm, Disk Utility says the fisrt
partition is FAT-16, is it OK? Isn't suposed to be ext4?

I would assume OSX can dd just fine. I also think (but don't remember for sure) that the partitions are:

1- FAT16
2- swap
3- Rootfs

It's probably on the wiki somewhere. Both of these pages kind of allude to it:

http://www.kosagi.com/w/index.php?title … _Main_Page
http://www.kosagi.com/w/index.php?title … nk_SD_card

You can also pick through the SD image and look at the partitions that way. "fdisk -l /path/to/novena/sd/image.img" might do it.

10 (edited by lutzray 2015-06-20 23:48:28)

Hmm, I flashed the card (but didn't resize anything, being impatient I booted nonetheless), is it normal to get this UART console message:

Unsupported device width, fatal
fatal DDR error 0x03

I'll keep trying to rebuild my card, RTFMing the related pages.

Thanks for your support. Maybe for the others who'll brick their Novena like me, I will start a new topic in the right forum, this is a software issue.

I've tought of a fun topic title:

"Noob bricks his laptop, complains about lack of 1-click recovery GUI app"

I'm the perfect exemple of why bunnie nor xobs want to mass produce this project: being flooded by hipsters jumping in the Open
Source Hardware bandwagon because it's cool but know squat... 8-)

Well, on the bright side, there's a workaround.  I should update the SPL in the disk image to work even if the DDR3 is not valid.

There is information on how to bootstrap Novena from your Raspberry Pi available at http://www.kosagi.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=223

12 (edited by lutzray 2015-06-23 11:26:20)

xobs, I read the thread you linked to (DDR fatal error on boot due to SPD flash corruption) and successfully compiled imx-usb-loader on my rPi (for other neophytes reading this, if it complains about libusb.h, sudo apt-get install libusb-1.0-0-dev ), and wgot the file

https://nas.xobs.io/novena/debugspl/SPL

NextSteps ?

• connect the Novena board to the rPi via the micro-usb OTG connector

• power on  the board with P_USB shorted (near the edge, between the FPGA and the SO-DIMM for those looking for it)

• run imx-usb-loader -v SPL on the rPi

What's not clear for me is why I should then upload the SPL file to the novena board, since imx-usb-loader did it for me...
And if I still have to, I can't use novena-install-spl so I should use dd as specified in U-boot PVT Notes. Is this the right command to run on the rPi?

sudo dd if="SPL" of="/dev/disk/by-path/platform-2198000.usdhc" bs=1024 seek=1 conv=notrunc

Will I have to substitute something? ie /dev/disk/by-path ?

and what about that SPD thang? Will your SPL notice any corruption and bypass it?

OK, I slept on this and now I think I understand: imx-usb-loader does indeed send the specified SPL to the board but the iMX6 uses it on the fly, without storing it (P_USB instructs the board to fetch the SPL through the UBS OTG channel and imx-usb-loader is kind of a one time server to serve the SPL file and exit, this is it?).

So now my Novena boots: I can now log in via the UART console, Joy! (with my username set before I bricked it, because rootfs is the SSD, not the uSD?)

But now I fail using novena-install-spl: on normal boot (no P_USB) the board keeps using  SPL 2014.10-rc3 rather than 2015.04-rc1.

I read the novena-install-spl man page and doesn't quite grok the option:

-d root-device
              Path  to  the  root  device.   If  connected  via  MMC,   likely
              /dev/mmcblk0  or  /dev/mmcblk1,  but use /dev/disk/by-path/plat-
              form-2198000.usdhc to explicitly specify the internal card.   If
              connected  via  USB  or  STA, likely /dev/sda.  If omitted, will
              default  to  the  internal   card   at   /dev/disk/by-path/plat-
              form-2198000.usdhc.

So when logged in via the UART console and booted via USB OTG with P_USB, am I connected 'via USB' as written in the man page? so I should use

novena-install-spl  /dev/sda

Peeking inside the script doesn't help me neither  8-) it's a wrapper around dd, OK, but what should be the destination, I'm lost... Am I booting from the uSD? from the SSD? from the u-boot.img inside the uSD?

Thanks for clarifying the novena-install-spl argument I have to use.

Well finally, novena-install-spl did its trick: I used the -s option to specify the source (and went with the default destination). Everything is fine now: booting without OTG and getting at the X login panel but I'm stuck on the external HDMI monitor... the LVDS panel won't light up...

Is there a flag somewhere to activate the panel in the boot sequence? I checked the EEPROM setting and LVDS0 in enabled pourtant.

Use novena-eeprom or novena-eeprom-gui to set the "eDP" flag (sometimes also called the "retina" flag).

but edp is already listed in the features, doesn't that mean it's set? Here's novena-eeprom output:

$ novena-eeprom
Current EEPROM settings:
    Signature:        Novena
    Version:          2
    Serial:           485
    MAC:              00:1f:11:02:16:e4
    Features:         0x1f7 (es8328,senoko,edp,pcie,gbit,hdmi,eepromoops,sataroot)
    EEPROM size:      65536
    EEPROM page size: 128
    Oops offset:      4096
    Oops length:      61440
    LVDS channel 1:
        Modeline "lvds1" 148.500  1920 2068 2156 2200   1080 1116 1120 1125 +HSync +VSync
        Flags: 0x3f (channel_present,dual_channel,vsync_polarity,hsync_polarity,mapping_jeida,data_width_8bit)
    LVDS channel 2:
        Modeline "lvds2" 4294.967  65535 131070 196605 262140   65535 131070 196605 262140 -HSync -VSync
        Flags: 0x1 (channel_present)
    HDMI channel:
        Modeline "hdmi" 4294.967  65535 131070 196605 262140   65535 131070 196605 262140 -HSync -VSync
        Flags: 0x61 (channel_present,data_width_8bit,ignore_settings)

Does it light up in U-Boot?

It might be a cross-threaded cable.  Re-seat the eDP board connector (the orangeish flat-flex cable between the mainboard and the eDP board) and see if that helps at all.

xobs wrote:

Does it light up in U-Boot?

No

It might be a cross-threaded cable.  Re-seat the eDP board connector (the orangeish flat-flex cable between the mainboard and the eDP board) and see if that helps at all.

Hmm, I'm a little nervous now to play inside my Novena...  Everything was OK  before I wiped the uSD card so I had hoped the black LCD was a software issue...

19 (edited by lutzray 2015-08-05 09:51:56)

Ok, back from camping!

It would be great to have my Novena back to show it off at school... so xobs, as you suggested, I reseated entirely the eDP board:

disconnected/reconnected the LVDS cable (both ends)
disconnected/reconnected the eDP flex cable (both ends)

Zut... Still getting a dark LCD on boot...

This is a headless boot:

U-Boot 2014.10-rc3-00039-gc5efead (Oct 17 2014 - 19:41:27)

CPU:   Freescale i.MX6Q rev1.2 at 792 MHz
Reset cause: POR
Board: Novena 4x
I2C:   ready
DRAM:  3.8 GiB
PMIC:  PFUZE100 ID=0x10
MMC:   FSL_SDHC: 0, FSL_SDHC: 1
Using default environment

No panel detected: default to HDMI
Display: HDMI (1024x768)
In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
Net:   FEC [PRIME]
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0 
reading uEnv.txt
** Unable to read file uEnv.txt **
To override boot, create a file on the internal MMC called uEnv.txt
To hook early boot process, add a variable called earlyhook
gpio: pin 110 (gpio 110) value is 1
Hold recovery button to boot to recovery, or to enter U-Boot shell.
Setting bus to 2
Error reading the chip.
No video detected, using serial port