Topic: Automatic datasheet generation?

I saw the 31C3 stream and was fascinated. I have a question regarding the scripts.

What are your plans for the scripts? Will they be used to create a data sheet that explains how to use the CPUs peripherals? Should a tool operate on the scripts to generate source code that uses the peripherals? How are different configurations (Baudrate,..) or usages (Times to generate Interrupts, generate a Frequency or to generate a PWM) dealt with in the scripts?

Re: Automatic datasheet generation?

The scripts are a sort of open-source black-box that bundles complex functionality into easy-to-use components.  For example, you normally don't want to know the details of DDR RAM calibration, you just want it to work.  The code to do that calibration is very complex, but using scripts we can simplify the code a lot.

Right now scripts take no parameters, and so every configuration requires a different script.  E.g. each baudrate would require a different script.  What I'd like to do, eventually, is support a fixed number of arguments (somewhere between 4 and 8 "registers") that can be used as parameters.  Since scripts can call functions, these functions could e.g. convert a baudrate into a timing register value by calling a conversion function.  This would require a more advanced parser, and so I haven't done that yet.

My understanding from the talk was that this should (in 2 years time) besome the better Arduino. Such an open source general purpose µController board should come with documentation on which baudrates are suported and how to configure them.

I understand that for the current status of the projects the scripts are a great solution, and I really like the Idea. But what about the next step? How should the road to a fully documented open board should look like?

I'm probably ahead of the time here. So maybee this discussion needs to be put on hold until the project processed that far.

I would say the scriptic scripts are great concept to handle the intialisation of various components. In the long term we will have NuttX drivers and potentially Linux drivers for the various components, and I guess that some of those drivers will also use the scripts.