Topic: HDMI>DVI Woes

Greetings, all, I am having some difficulty in implementing the kernel patch idea here: [http://boundarydevices.com/dvi-support-on-i-mx6-boards/ with xobs's kernel.  I can manipulate the display fairly well on my HDMI enable TV, but can't get video output on a DVI only monitor through a HDMI>DVI cable.  I think the u-boot patch, which i applied from the aforementioned page is working, as it takes longer for the DVI monitor to go into standby.  I don't know the best way to patch the kernel (the usual rc5 or rc5 vivante) to see if I can get it to work.  Does anyone have any suggestions short of buying an HDMI enable monitor?

Best regards,

Nathan

Re: HDMI>DVI Woes

I'm having the same issue, still working on it. Why not set up a remote desktop if SSH isn't cutting it ?

Cheers,
Justin

nbhudzik: Hi, have you tried it without the kernel patch? I'm using novena board with HDMI cable and a HDMI to DVI converter and it is almost working out-of-the-box. Actually it works only in a text mode. When I start X server,  novena switch display mode into a resolution which is not supported by my display. But I guess that I will be able to fix it :-)

4 (edited by nbhudzik 2015-02-03 00:11:08)

I turned off the LVDS Modelines in the EEPROM and also compiled the rc5-vivante kernel with the drivers section of boundary devices latest kernel and am now able to hotplug the HDMI>DVI monitor, but I've yet to determine if modifying the drivers of the vivante kernel or the EEPROM modification, or both are responsible for the remedy. I will test and get back with more information. I cannot reboot with the HDMI>DVI cable attached or I won't get a signal to the monitor.  It's very odd that I have to hotplug after boot.

machy wrote:

I'm using novena board with HDMI cable and a HDMI to DVI converter and it is almost working out-of-the-box. Actually it works only in a text mode. When I start X server,  novena switch display mode into a resolution which is not supported by my display.

On my old TV (well, only 5 years old) I get the same effect but using just HDMI ( no converter). The novena boots, and runs fine in text-mode, but as soon as it switches to LightDM, the TV reports an unsupported resolution. I do not know what that resulution is.
When I connect HDMI to my main monitor it just works. Monitor tells me it is at 1080p 55Hz, but novena tels me it's 1920x1080 @ 60Hz.

My worklaptop on that same old TV works fine with HDMI (the TV reports 1080p 60Hz).

roheve wrote:

On my old TV (well, from 2009), I get the same effect but using just HDMI ( no DVI converter)

Checked it with HDMI on a newer TV, but there it does not work eighter. I have 'picture' from the boot console, but at the end, when it should go to the X desktop, the videomode changes and the TV does not recognize it anymore. 

The Xorg.0.log is not helpfull, both TV's and the monitor (which works) report the same default Modeline.

armada(0): Printing probed modes for output HDMI1
Modeline "1920x1080"x60.0  148.50  1920 2008 2052 2200  1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync (67.5 kHz eP)

armada(0): Printing probed modes for output LVDS1
Modeline "1920x1080"x60.0  148.50  1920 2008 2052 2200  1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync (67.5 kHz eP)

armada(0): Output HDMI1 connected
armada(0): Output LVDS1 connected

armada(0): Output HDMI1 using initial mode 1920x1080
armada(0): Output LVDS1 using initial mode 1920x1080

However, there is a difference. With both TV's I see this line

armada(0): HDMI max TMDS frequency 225000KHz

I do not know what effect it has.

I tried disabeling starting X, but something in systemd 'repairs' it at boot sad Note: this is from dmesg, not Xorg.log

[    6.794847] systemd-default-display-manager-generator[120]: /etc/X11/default-display-manager points at lightdm while the default systemd unit is . Reconfiguring lightdm as default.

I could remove this file too, but that does not solve the main issue.

at the end of dmesg I also see this a few times

vgaarb: this pci device is not a vga device

Not sure if that is just a warning or something else (but I see red text)