1 (edited by raziel 2014-08-16 23:01:08)

Topic: I Have 50x Wacom Digitizer SU-13W02E-03A for penabled input

Hi Novena Community,

as part of my laptop build I will use a Wacom Digitizer with the suggested N133HSE Display to pen-enable my novena laptop. If anyone is interested I have already bought 50 digitizers with USB interface from http://www.nationwidesurplus.com/p-54-5 … oards.aspx

I did not yet have time to test this, as my displays did not arrive yet, but I will update once I got them to work together. In the meantime, if anyone is interested, I don't really need all 50 of them, so I am willing to send you a few if you want.

UPDATE

As mentioned in the thread, I live in Germany, Ulm.
The cost per board was 2€, but then customs sent me a huge bill and now I have to increase it to 3€ per board.
Default shipping cost internationally is 15€ per DHL.

By now I managed to get the board running via USB. Infos from the bongofish forum (see thread) were helpful. I ran into the problem that either the pins for USB D+ D- were switched or my cable did not match the specifications, but other than that it was straight forward. Board can be supplied 3.3V from the USB power with a low-dropout regulator and then is plug-and-pen.

I expect to get my monitors sometime soon (3 weeks stuck in customs -_-) and will report back when I tried them with it. I am currently really busy and would be happy if everyone is okay with me sending the boards out just after the 15th of July.

UPDATE

It's christmas time! Send me an Email, I send you digitizers! Yeah!
Ups, my spam filter almost ate the forum mails, so for making sure everyone gets theirs, here is a list updated on 0816

• 3x @ fun

• 2x @ ballanux

Cheers,
Michael

Re: I Have 50x Wacom Digitizer SU-13W02E-03A for penabled input

How much for three shipped to 90304?

It seems like a great idea, but I can't find much information about the digitizer, do you have more information? A datasheet, manual or something? Or do you just put the digitizer over the screen, connect the USB and it's done?

Hi,

I should have specified that I am situated in Germany, Ulm. Of course I can send the digitizers to anywhere, but it might actually be cheaper to get some off of eBay, especially if you are living in the US. The 50 digitizer cost me ~100€ (40$+100$ shipping lol), so you can divide that by 50 and arrive at a ridiculous price of only 2€ per board. Add Shipping costs and you're set (besides customs, I did not have any problems with them though).

@comapony:
I assume Inglewood, California, 90304. DHL's website tells me shipping cost will be ~15€ + boards 3x2€ we will be at 21€
But you may find cheaper shipping somewhere

@ballanux
I sure hope so. Best place for information is the Bongofish community and their wiki
http://wiki.bongofish.co.uk/doku.php?id … penenabled
Some people even have exactly that board, but I did not get a reply to my post on their forum (which was only in the trading section, so that's probably why) and I suppose they got it to work. I got the boards like yesterday and now I can see if I get them to work (first without screen). That might take a while as I am busy with Uni and stuff, but I will write back.

I'm interested in one as well, and since I live in the Netherlands (hi neighbor big_smile) it'll probably be cheaper this way.

http://bitlog.it - uncovering secrets at the frontier of technology

@all
Update: See opening post.

To use the digitizer I assume a wacom pen is needed, right?
Would this one work, for example?
http://www.ebay.es/itm/Wacom-Pen-EP-150 … 1266934265

I haven't used a wacom tablet before, but I still think this would be a great addition to the novena laptop smile

@ballanux,

that is a bit more tricky and you should take a look at the bongofish forum/wiki. From what I remember, there are basically two types of wacom tablets, the "originals" -- i.e. standalone external like the bamboo -- and the "embedded" controllers like mine. Both have separate types of pens and you should get one coming from an embedded device, most likely a pen-enabled laptop for example. I have one lying around with which I am doing my testing, but at some point I will look for a few myself and can post some more info then.

raziel wrote:

@ballanux,

that is a bit more tricky and you should take a look at the bongofish forum/wiki. From what I remember, there are basically two types of wacom tablets, the "originals" -- i.e. standalone external like the bamboo -- and the "embedded" controllers like mine. Both have separate types of pens and you should get one coming from an embedded device, most likely a pen-enabled laptop for example. I have one lying around with which I am doing my testing, but at some point I will look for a few myself and can post some more info then.

Thanks! I will search a bit more smile

If you test any other pen, let us know!

What would the cost be to post to Dublin? I'm interested in a few

@fun
See my first post. Default shipping cost is 15€ worldwide DHL. If you want something cheaper, you have to look for it yourself. You can't really expect me to do that, to be quite frank.

Sorry, missed that. That's fine with me. Can you pm me your preferred payment details?

raziel, what Wacom pens work with these digitizers?

I'm in the US and want a digitizer panel too. Considering the international shipping cost, I'm considering ordering 50 and then also selling them to US addresses.

@TD-Linux, reading the thread helps, e.g.

raziel wrote:

@ballanux,

I have exams for the upcoming weeks, but I will finish this stuff over summer and can give some more insight into pens after I tested a few. Cheers.

raziel wrote:

I have exams for the upcoming weeks, but I will finish this stuff over summer and can give some more insight into pens after I tested a few. Cheers.

Good luck with the exams! I don't know if you read a "forum email" I sent you a week ago or so, I don't know if that forum feature actually works, so if it didn't work, know that I'm interested in a couple of units! Anyway it can wait until you finish the exams, of course!! smile

All right guys, it took a bit longer than expected, but I am finished with most of my stuff and have now time to take care of you! For privacy reasons and because I only accept EMail as a form of communication, I suggest you use the board's email message function to send me your »order information«

Surprisingly, I have a PayPal Account, but if anyone can pay in bitcoins, that would be nice, I always wanted to start some semi-anonymous bitcoin wallet. We can sort that out per mail though.

Sorry for the wait,
Michael

Oh btw, I tested the digitzers with my screen (suggested N133HSE) now and in general they work. Mine have a rather wide metal shielding on the lower back side, where the digitzers fail. But I think I will be able to remove that witch careful milling and then it should work on the whole screen.

Get my email?

yes, see updates on first post. maybe I should reply to mails I get, shouldn't I?

Based on the info available here:
http://wiki.bongofish.co.uk/doku.php?id … sh:tablets

I have bought the "UP-710E". This exact model number is not on the pdf, but it seems very close to the "UP-703E" which should be compatible. The listed pens on that document where either too expensive, or I wasn't able to find them...

Anyway I'm not totally sure if it will be compatible as I wasn't able to find any info linking pen model numbers with digitizer boards.

As I will have two boards, I hope to use one with my desktop PC (not on the screen, just over the table) and adapt the other to the novena.

@raziel, keep us posted how it works when you remove the metal shielding from the bottom of the screen, and be careful not to cut the screen... or your hand! big_smile

Received my digitisers today, thanks!

Have fun with it. Before I forget, here is the correct pin layout for the boards:

pin  function
01   USB GND1
02   USB GND2
03   USB D+ (green)
04   USB D- (white)
..   nc
13   PCB VCC 3.3V
14   PCB GND

I haven't been at home the last few days, but it seems that my digitizers also came last week. I will get them tomorrow smile

Thanks!!

I received today the pen and made a board to connect the digitizer and everything seems to work! big_smile

I still have to tweak some things, like the distance between the writing surface and the digitizer, it seems to work better if there is a gap of 5mm or so. It doesn't work well if you try to write directly onto the PCB. Right now I'm testing just with some papers over the PCB but I should put a sheet of methacrylate or something similar.

Maybe I will design a proper PCB, right now its a bit messy:

http://i.imgur.com/t8hYsOd.jpg

Hi ballanux, I have the exact same digitizing sheet and am working on building the circuit to connect it to my computer. Is there any chance you have a circuit diagram for the circuit that you sent a picture of to this thread? I am having a hard time telling exactly what is going on in the picture. Thanks!